No announcement yet.

Exchange 2010 Mailbox doesn't exist but appears

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exchange 2010 Mailbox doesn't exist but appears

    Hi Folks,

    I have a bit of a weird one. If I do "Get-Mailbox" or look in EMC I get the expected list of mailboxes

    If I run the following command, I get an extra entry of a mailbox that has items:

    Get-MailboxDatabase|Get-MailboxStatistics|sort DisplayName

    If I attempt to do 'Get-Mailbox -identity "name"' on that mailbox I get a response saying that the object could not be found.

    I tried creating a new user with matching details. This meant that Get-Mailbox returned correctly and I could log in to Exchange. The output of Get-MailboxStatistics now lists two entries for the identity.

    My next step was to delete the new mailbox, hoping this would clean up both entries. It did not, in fact it did not delete either so I now have two entries in the statistics, one with over 5000 items and one with 0.

    I have tried Get-MailboxDatabase | Clean-MailboxDatabase and it makes no difference.

    If I add "Where {$_.DisconnectDate -eq $null}" to the statistics request the mailboxes still show. It looks to me like Exchange is removing the mailbox but keeping an entry about it somewhere instead of deleting it.

    I've not been able to find anything on this from good old Google, all that throws up is people with discrepancies between the stats and what Outlook tells them (User error or cached mode problem, in our case the user hasn't existed for years..)