Getting around maximum length of Exchange 2010 Transport Rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting around maximum length of Exchange 2010 Transport Rule

I've been having a lot of problems with malware coming in via emails with particular subject lines (invoice, credit note, dhl, ups, etc) so I have created a transport rule of my Exchange server that routes any emails containing these keys words to a separate mailbox which I then review.

We have had a few legitimate senders picked up so I have been adding their email addresses individually to an exception in my rule which effectively whitelists their addresses.

However when I added another address today my exchange whinged that the rule had reached its maximum length.

I think I've come up with a workaround.

If I add the email addresses I want to whitelist as a mail contact in exchange, remove them from the global address list so nobody can email them by mistake, and then have my exchange transport rule set so that it only filters email from outside the organisation it seems to work. I'm assuming because it now views these external addresses as belonging to my exchange organisation.

I've tested it with one address so far. Can anyone see any downside before I carry on and roll it out completely?

Re: Getting around maximum length of Exchange 2010 Transport Rule

this seems like an inherently process-heavy task.
    Is part of your day, every day, seriously checking the content of a mailbox to determine if it is actually spam?

Is there any reason why you couldn't go with something like Trend Micro HES or Scanmail for Exchange? (or even a linux appliance in front of the server to do antispam?)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes I do check our spam mailbox every day. However, I do have two other spam filters (watchguard and mcafee groupshield) that block and delete most of the blatant spam.

The spam mailbox just picks up the borderline items plus if I spot a new tactic that seems to be getting through I can quickly block a keyword and divert the emails.

I probably spend 10 minutes a day going through the mailbox. Not a huge amount of time really.

Comment

whitelist people on your spam devices, rather than this messing around with creating contacts and transport rules.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X