No announcement yet.

Exchange 2013 Outlook Anywhere crashing Outlook

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2013 Outlook Anywhere crashing Outlook

Hi all,

Recently setup a HP DL380p Gen8 with 2x E5-2630v2 CPU and 80GB of RAM.

The server is running Hyper-V with 2 VMs (1x 2012 R2 DC/File and 1x 2012 R2 with Exchange 2013). Both VMs have 8 virtual processors and 32GB of RAM each.

Exchange 2013 is running CU7 and is fully patched. There are ~25 mailboxes.

Clients using Outlook Anywhere remotely on Outlook 2010 or 2013 are experiencing issues where their Outlook will crash (start Not responding, trying to connect to exchange, etc and eventually require closing) when they either are sending a new email, replying to an email or forwarding. This issue is intermittent and may happen 2 times a day or 20 times a day (and not at the same time for each user)

- Internet connection at Exchange 2013 site has been tested and is fine
    - New Outlook profiles created
    - Tested from multiple locations
    - Firewall has been disabled (hardware and software) temporarily on Exchange site
    - IIS timeout increased on Exchange server
    - Exchange, DC and Hyper-V all been restarted

Event Viewer on Exchange 2013 errors
    ID: 36874 "A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 40. The Windows SChannel error state is 1205."
    ID: 36888 "An TLS 1.2 connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server."
    ID: 1035 "Inbound authentication failed with error LogonDenied for Receive connector Client Frontend. The authentication mechanism is Login. The source IP address of the client who tried to authenticate to Microsoft Exchange is []."

I have run a BPA and it is coming up with some health issues. Attached report.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Exchange 2013 Outlook Anywhere crashing Outlook

No idea what the BPA report shows as I don't open random zip files from the internet.
    The BPA should lead you to solutions for most problems.

Are you using a third party commercial trusted SSL certificate? If not, then you must do, as the self signed certificates are not supported for production use.
    If you are, then I would look at getting it rekeyed.
    The Windows Firewall can stay on, I have never seen disabling that resolve a problem.

Outlook crashing is unusual and I would be pointing the finger at something consistent across all of the machines - primary suspect would be AV software, particularly anything made by Symantec, but it could be anything that exists on all machines. I have never seen Outlook crash regularly on a vanilla system.

Do ensure that the machines are fully patches - Outlook has had a lot of updates.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.