Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand "Default Reply To" address

Hi all,

I am confused. Please help. In Exchange 2010, if a user, for whatever reason, has TWO email addresses, how does that work? Here is an example...

I have a user named Rich whose email address at some point in history was "[email protected]". At a later point it became "[email protected]" and that is his default reply address.

So... If someone emails him at the "[email protected]" address and he replies, does the reply go out as "[email protected]"? And all subsequent replies are to that?

Am I wrong?

What else should I know? Sorry if this is a silly question that I, as a quasi-email-admin should know, but I don't. So... Help! Thanks!

Re: Help me understand "Default Reply To" address

Think of it as many addresses he can receive at, but only one (the primary) he can reply from. Nothing to stop someone using any valid email to contact him, but if they click reply, it will go to his primary address
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

OK, cool. So this, then...
      So... If someone emails him at the "[email protected]" address and he replies, does the reply go OUT as "[email protected]"? And all subsequent replies are to that?
      ... is correct. Yes?

Comment

Correct. When I had Exchange running in my home, I had a Default address of [email protected] and ALL emails were sent from that account. I also had 42 or so other "email addresses" which are probably better called Aliases that I used to populate various forums so if I got inundated with advertising emails or spam I could delete the Alias (without affecting my main account [email protected] )and the unwanted rubbish stopped. (Was very useful one night when I was getting about 1,000 spam messages a second to an Alias)

So if I got an email sent to [email protected] and I replied to it then the receiver would see it came from [email protected]
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Awesome, gents. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X