EXCH2013, databases & space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXCH2013, databases & space

my current Exch 2013 is all up to date and patched.

I have one disk drive (900GB) and it contains the current databases. I created another database, DB3 and made that one 2GBmax. Moved many users from DB1 to DB2 but the hard drive space reduced. Shouldn't the hard drive increase, since I moved users from DB1 to DB2.

DB1 - 3.5gb max
    DB2 - 2.0gb max

both DB's are on the same disk.

I have another disk for Logs, so that's totally separate.

Just don't want to keep asking folks to reduce their inbox and then move them to new DB2 and reduce the drive storage space.
    Hope I explained that clearly.

Re: EXCH2013, databases & space

Exchange does not generally free "white space" in the databases unless you do an offline defrag - which takes a long time

The "approved" method of freeing space is to move all mailboxes to a new database, then dismount and delete the old one - if you only move some mailboxes, space will be freed in the first database but the file will not shrink
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: EXCH2013, databases & space

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Exchange does not generally free "white space" in the databases unless you do an offline defrag - which takes a long time

The "approved" method of freeing space is to move all mailboxes to a new database, then dismount and delete the old one - if you only move some mailboxes, space will be freed in the first database but the file will not shrink
      yeah that's what I figured. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X