Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2013- Want to know the best backup tool.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2013- Want to know the best backup tool.

Hi All,

I would like to know a back up tool which helps in backing up and restoring individual mailboxes and even mailbox items. My main aim is to get all the deleted items being backed up, so that I can provide when it is asked by the users. I do a regular Windows backup of databases, but that won't help here. So I request everyone to give me some suggestions.

Re: Exchange 2013- Want to know the best backup tool.

We need a lot more information:
    Single or multiple mailbox servers
    Number of databases
    Size of databases
    Recovery SLAs
    Budget
    Data retention periods

(and that just to start with)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Backup Exec will do the job.

Comment

Backup Exec is surely the best as suggested, Dell AppAssure is also good backup solution if you are looking for a lower cost backup software.
        Fazal Zaidi
        MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

[RANT]
          You really wonder how people can get a raft of certifications, and call themselves a "consultant" but still be able to come up with a statement that "BackupExec is the best" without having ANY other information about the environment or what the users requirements really are. Unless there are some psychic powers involved, no-one has enough information to make such a statement
          [/RANT]

Joe - agree completely that BackupExec will "do the job" so this is not aimed at your post
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            [RANT]
            You really wonder how people can get a raft of certifications, and call themselves a "consultant" but still be able to come up with a statement that "BackupExec is the best" without having ANY other information about the environment or what the users requirements really are. Unless there are some psychic powers involved, no-one has enough information to make such a statement
            [/RANT]

Joe - agree completely that BackupExec will "do the job" so this is not aimed at your post
            Tom, understood. My answer really addresses only the statement restoring individual mailboxes and even mailbox items and doesn't address any of the other points you brought up. I agree, calling it the best would be uninformed, shortsighted and premature.

Comment

Maybe it's just me (and the circles I run in) but I avoid Backup Exec like the plague. Bulky, cumbersome software and it's media management is horrific.... IMHO.

I much prefer image based backup solutions.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

...as long as they are "Exchange Aware" so the transaction logs are properly cleaned up after the database is backed up
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

...as long as they are "Exchange Aware" so the transaction logs are properly cleaned up after the database is backed up
                  Indeed. A definite requirement for any backup solution here.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                    Maybe it's just me (and the circles I run in) but I avoid Backup Exec more recent than 2011 like the plague. Bulky, cumbersome software and it's media management is horrific.... IMHO.

I much prefer image based backup solutions.
                    FTFY...

the newer versions of BEX are.. well.. even vomit would be disgusted at how it looks and feels.
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

[RANT]
                      [/RANT]

I agree Tom I should have stated it as 'One of the Best' but surely not the "BEST". Old habits die hard, have been deploying it over a decade.
                      Fazal Zaidi
                      MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Working...
                      X