Add second e-mail address to all SBS 2011 users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add second e-mail address to all SBS 2011 users

I want to add a new, secondary e-mail address to all the SBS 2011 mailboxes. I created a new 'accepted domain'.

I created a new e-mail address policy, pointed it to the OU for my SBS Users and included 'all recipient types'

I did not select any conditions and when I hit the'preview' button, all the users show up

I added the e-mail address by selecting 'use alias' and I browsed to the 'accepted domain' I wanted to use. The SMTP address shows up as %[email protected]

I set the schedule to 'immediately' and hit the edit button. Every appeared to complete properly but when I look at the e-mail addresses for a recipient, the new e-mail address does not show up.

The check box to automatically update e-mail addresses based on polices is checked off. What am I not doing right?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Walker

Re: Add second e-mail address to all SBS 2011 users

Sounds like what you did should work. But why not just edit the existing policy to add the SMTP address? Unless you have groups of users that need different email address policies, there's only a need for one.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The check box to automatically update email addresses based on polices is checked off. What am I not doing right?

With that setting unchecked, email addresses won't be updated based on your E-mail Address Policy. You need to check that box if you want this policy to apply.

BUT, what you need to do is to add the new email address to your existing E-Mail Address Policy, NOT add a new policy. Only one E-Mail Address Policy can apply to a user, based on the policy priority. It sounds to me like you want to add an email address for each user but keep the existing email addresses intact. If so, then again, add the new email address to your existing E-Mail Address Policy. Do not create a new E-Mail Address Policy.
      Last edited by joeqwerty; 18th November 2014, 17:56.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        The check box to automatically update email addresses based on polices is checked off. What am I not doing right?

With that setting unchecked, email addresses won't be updated based on your E-mail Address Policy. You need to check that box if you want this policy to apply.
        Funny, I read that to mean it was checked.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

It is checked
          It's like going down a list with boxes checking them off but I can see how this can be viewed differently.

I was unsure about how to add the new e-mail to the existing policy and I had this fear I might make the new e-mail address the primary. Is there any precautions or do I just edit the policy and add the second excepted domain?

Thanks and sorry for all the confusion.

Comment

Just edit and add. Should be simple.
            If the new policy had applied, it would have made the new address the primary so I guess you dodged a bullet there.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

An easy edit it was and I have the second e-mail address now. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Glad to help.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Old question - but the reason the option is not enabled is because this is an SBS Server. The SBS management console wants to control the addresses.

I usually manually modify them in this scenario, rather than try to override SBS behaviour.

Simon.
                  --
                  Simon Butler
                  Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                  More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                  Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                  In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                  X