Email address policy with multiple domains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email address policy with multiple domains

I'm just curious what the process is for setting up an email address policy for an exchange server that is running multiple different domains. I will be regularly creating new user mailboxes, some for domainA, some for domainB, others for domainC. From what I can tell the default email address policy automatically gives a new user a mailbox on a specific domain and makes that the default, which I do not want to do. For each user I want to specify what email address I am creating for them. Should I have multiple policies and figure out how to apply them on a per user basis, or can I just run exchange without an email address policy?

I'm not sure how that's supposed to work with an automatically created email address that I don't want. When I go to add an email address to the user it shows the address from the policy as bold and as something I can't delete.

Re: Email address policy with multiple domains

you can make each policy relate to a specific OU.
    so members of "fred.com" ou get fred.com emails and members of "joe.com" Ou get joe.com email addresses.

you can manually add additional addresses after that which aren't removed by default policies.

you can even have a nested policy of "all users have xyz.com" which has a higher priority than joe.com
    so users in joe.com OU get xyz.com and joe.com(replyaddress)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      you can make each policy relate to a specific OU.
      so members of "fred.com" ou get fred.com emails and members of "joe.com" Ou get joe.com email addresses.

you can manually add additional addresses after that which aren't removed by default policies.

you can even have a nested policy of "all users have xyz.com" which has a higher priority than joe.com
      so users in joe.com OU get xyz.com and joe.com(replyaddress)
      I'm afraid I don't follow. I don't know what "OU" stands for. I have a very simple set up and am not using active directory, it's only installed to support exchange. So when I go to create an email address policy I see I can add filters for who it applies to, but when creating new users "user mailbox" I don't have any options that would specify what policy I want applied to that new user. Do I need to use something other than the exchange administrator web app (exchange 2013)?

Comment

Set one of the user properties e.g. Company and use that

OUs are Organisational Units - a key component of AD (which you DO have since you are using Exchange). I strongly suggest you learn enough about AD to enable you to support and use Exchange effectively or it will come back to bite you later. For example, are you backing up your domain controllers, (and do you have multiple domain controllers because if you don't, when the single DC goes down, Exchange will fall over to)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Set one of the user properties e.g. Company and use that

OUs are Organisational Units - a key component of AD (which you DO have since you are using Exchange). I strongly suggest you learn enough about AD to enable you to support and use Exchange effectively or it will come back to bite you later. For example, are you backing up your domain controllers, (and do you have multiple domain controllers because if you don't, when the single DC goes down, Exchange will fall over to)
          I understand that AD is designed to handle user management, but I would expect Exchange Admin Center to have enough functionality to create users (and their mailboxes) and specify from there what email address (or email address policy) they should belong to. AD is complete and total overkill for my organization, but a necessary evil to get exchange working. (And don't worry, I back up all servers and data)

So, from creating new users I see I can select an OU (but not modify already created users). After a little playing around with this it looks like the easiest thing is to create multiple email address policies for each company (domain) and just have each use a rule to apply to users that have "Company = xyz" because I can freely change the Company field on the users within Exchange admin center. I still have the question as to why I am unable to delete the "Default Policy" from email address policies. Does exchange require one policy that applies to all users no matter what? I don't have an email address that I want every single user to have in common. Do I just need to make up a fake domain and have that be the default policy knowing it will never be used or seen?

Comment

The default policy is mandatory to catch mailbox users who don't get caught by other policies. You cannot delete it, but you can leave it only supplying addresses in a local domain.

Because Exchange is designed for large environments (think million users), there is no mechanism for assigning address policies to individuals, however there is nothing to stop you unticking the "automatically update..." tickbox for the user and manually entering any addresses you want in any accepted domain.

Regarding AD, Exchange adds extra attributes to existing users in AD, so the two cannot be separated. Exchange management tools modify some aspects of AD, but to do everything you need Active Directory Users and Computers as well as the EMC
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Here is what I did in my Exchange 2010 environment:

Made the main/default domain the lowest priority under Email Address Policies.
              Under the second domain I did:
              • Users with Exchange mailboxes
              • Step 1: the recipient is in a Company
              • Step 2: Change it to xyz.com
              • Email addresses: add @xyz.com

So with the user account, under Organization->Company. Enter "xyz.com"
              This way, if the user has "xyz.com" under this field he/she will get the second domain added and will be the default.
              CCNA, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by reamades View Post
                I'm afraid I don't follow. I don't know what "OU" stands for.
                Not an answer to your short term problem but might I suggest you have a look at the link for CBT (Computer Based Tutorials). I have used Pluralsight mainly because they have a lot of the excellent Train Signal tutorials that I have used in their library from when they purchased that company plus they have a 10 day FREE trial.

These tutorials can get you very quickly up to speed with the terminology like OU, AD, FSMO Roles (explain what they are, how they works and how they can make life easier for you) and it will give you what I like to call Instant Experience on the product you are wanting to use and learn about.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X