Users with multiple primary email addresses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users with multiple primary email addresses

I have some users that have multiple email addresses. I need to keep these email mailboxes completely separate. I do not want proxy email accounts all going into one inbox. So, how can I create multiple mailboxes for the same user ([email protected] and [email protected])? I need userA to log into each email account separately. I basically need a way for the system to see these as two different users all together, the problem being the username login only uses the userA portion and not the whole address. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Users with multiple primary email addresses

You'll need to create a user with a different username, like "userA_2" and configure their primary SMTP address as [email protected].
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      You'll need to create a user with a different username, like "userA_2" and configure their primary SMTP address as [email protected].
      I get an error message when trying to create a new user with the same name. I've tried changing both the "Alias" and the "User logon name" but the name of the person is the same and I still get error messages stating active directory operation failed...already exists.

I have tried changing both the "Alias" and "User logon name" for a user mailbox but it appears to have no effect. When I log into the Outlook Web App I still have to use the original login that was created, not the changes to either of those two fields. So how do I create different usernames?

Ideally I want to have the username be the actual email address. Is this possible? So to login in to [email protected], that would be the actual username used to login and the same with [email protected]. This would make much more sense to the users knowing which account they are logging into versus userA_1 and userA_2
      Last edited by reamades; 4th November 2014, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by reamades View Post
        I get an error message when trying to create a new user with the same name. I've tried changing both the "Alias" and the "User logon name" but the name of the person is the same and I still get error messages stating active directory operation failed...already exists.
        The username, alias, and email address need to be unique. If you already have a user, group, contact, etc that conflict, you will need to remove or change it before adding the user.

I have tried changing both the "Alias" and "User logon name" for a user mailbox but it appears to have no effect. When I log into the Outlook Web App I still have to use the original login that was created, not the changes to either of those two fields. So how do I create different usernames?
        If userA has [email protected] as a secondary address, you will need to remove it before creating the new user.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ideally I want to have the username be the actual email address. Is this possible? So to login in to [email protected], that would be the actual username used to login and the same with [email protected]. This would make much more sense to the users knowing which account they are logging into versus userA_1 and userA_2
          I haven't tested this but I think you can do that for the UPN only. The pre-2000 name will need to be different.

(there are two account names, UPN - [email protected] and the pre-2000 - domain\username)

EDIT - Just tested it. It works. You'll need to add domain2 as a UPN suffix. Domain1 too if that's not your local domain name.
          Last edited by JeremyW; 4th November 2014, 21:55.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The username, alias, and email address need to be unique. If you already have a user, group, contact, etc that conflict, you will need to remove or change it before adding the user.

If userA has [email protected] as a secondary address, you will need to remove it before creating the new user.
            Just to be clear my organization does not use Active Directory at all. It is only installed to support Exchange which we are testing out before moving into production, so no users are added other than my tests.

Which field controls the username a person must use when logging into the Outlook Web App and/or setting up email on their mail application? I was under the impression it was "User logon name" but when I make changes to that field it doesn't affect my login into the Outlook Web App.

Comment

I haven't tested this but I think you can do that for the UPN only. The pre-2000 name will need to be different.

(there are two account names, UPN - [email protected]in and the pre-2000 - domain\username)

EDIT - Just tested it. It works. You'll need to add domain2 as a UPN suffix. Domain1 too if that's not your local domain name.
              You'll have to forgive me, I am brand new to Exchange and don't know much about it. Basically I have a server sitting in a colocation facility, so there is no intranet network. This machine simply needs to accept email from multiple domains (I have already set up all the accepted domains) and let my users access those mailboxes using either Outlook Web App or setting up an exchange account in a mail application.

When I create a user I only see the UPN suffix that was created during the exchange installation that I picked as a random naming scheme so I could remember. This UPN suffix isn't in use anywhere for anything and is not accessible over any intranet or internet.

Comment

Huzzah, I was able to add the UPN suffixes necessary for my user logins. I don't have the faintest idea why changing the usernames before wasn't affecting my logging into the Outlook Web App, but I'm one tiny bit closer to actually moving into production, so thank you.

Comment

See my response to your other thread - this demonstrates WHY you need to learn about AD (which you DO use)
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just to be clear my organization does not use Active Directory at all.
                    Just to be clear, yes, it does. The fact that you don't use it the way it used to be used before Exchange was added on to it, or the way people think of it, doesn't mean you don't use it.

It is only installed to support Exchange which we are testing out before moving into production, so no users are added other than my tests.
                    It's not installed to support Exchange. It's a fundamental component of exchange.
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

For anyone else interested in this same topic as I was googling articles with the same problem, I am using the different domain suffixes as part of the login. Unfortunately exchange will still accept logins of just the first part of the email address which I don't understand if there are two ([email protected] and [email protected]). This becomes a serious problem when setting up exchange accounts in mail applications as the app simply ignores the suffix for the username and users won't be able to add both accounts.

My work around is simply to not have autodiscover records set up so if users try to add the email account they will have to manually input the server name and there they can add their full username (full email address).

Comment

Working...
                      X