Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Pop3 Connector for Exch 2013

Hello.

I have been installing Exchange through SBS editions ( 2003,2008,...) and all these versions had POP3 connector in order to get the emails from an external site and delivering them to local users.

Today I have installed Exchange 2013 on a Server 2012 R2 x64 server and I need to get emails from Pop3 server of the customer's site.

Unfortunately I'm unable to find "pop3 connector" and when I google for it I keep getting commercial products to do it.

Is there a Pop3 connector from Microsoft to be used in Exch 2013?

Must I buy one of them ? Is there any free option that you can suggest?

Thanks.

Re: Native Pop3 Connector for Exch 2013

Microsoft do not provide a POP3 connector, so a commercial alternative is your only option (unless you find a free one that suits: https://www.google.com/search?q=pop3...oe=&gws_rd=ssl)

But really you should be looking to move your email delivery to SMTP - are there any compelling reasons why you can't?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian for your reply.

When you talk about SMTP, you mean moving the mail server from external site to insite server?

Comment

While I certainly agree with Ossian that SMTP delivery is by far the best solution, there are scenarios where using a POP3 collector can make sense, and there are at least two free/open source alternatives:

getmail is a POP3/IMAP4 collector written in Python and licensed under the GPLv2. It should run on any box, Windows or *NIX, as long as it has a Python interpreter. It can do POP/IMAP over SSL, but AFAIK StartTLS is not supported.

Many years ago, I used Fetchmail to collect mail via POP3 and feed it to the local SMTP service on an Exchange 2003 server. The main Fetchmail site only provides access to source code, but I was able to find a precompiled Windows (or possibly Cygwin) version. As far as I can recall, it worked just fine. According to the documentation, the latest version supports StartTLS (as well as POP/IMAP over SSL, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by CCharles View Post
          When you talk about SMTP, you mean moving the mail server from external site to insite server?
          Where is your Exchange 2013 Server physically located? On your premises or with an external hosting agent?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by CCharles View Post
            Thanks Ossian for your reply.

At present, email is being delivered by SMTP to your ISP, then you are collecting it by POP. Instead you should be able to have SMTP delivery direct to your Exchange Server by (a) opening Port 25 inbound on your router and (b) changing your public DNS records to point to your static IP. You will want to confirm with your ISP that they have no issues with this, but any decent one won't
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The Exchange server in on premises. The reason for my question has to do with the fact that pop3 accounts are corporate emails located on a certain internet host and that there is no static public IP due to the costs that this may carry.

Comment

Lack of static IP address is not a barrier to using SMTP delivery.
                I run Exchange on dynamic addresses at a number of clients without any issues at all. All you need is a dynamic DNS service and the correct DNS records to use it.

No one has yet to give me a good reason for using a POP3 connector that cannot be avoided.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X