Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exch 2010. Service "Microsoft Exch mail submission."

Hello,

I have set up two Mailbox servers within my domain.

The thing is that the service "Microsoft Exchange mail submission" does not start, even when it is set up as "Automatic", in Services.

Does anyone know why this could be happening?. I have restarted the server twice so far.

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: Exch 2010. Service "Microsoft Exch mail submission."

Anything in event logs?

You could look at dependent services and maybe set it to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" if it is hanging waiting on something else.

What are the server specs?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian.

I have restarted the server once more, just in case, but things remain the same.

Actually the "MSExchangeIS" (Microsoft Exchange Information Store) didn't start either ! , which is more puzzling because as far as I know it is one of the essential ones.

I will look into the Event Viewer , which I should already have done, I know.

Regarding the dependencies, I see that The Microsoft Exch mail submission depends on MSExchangeADTopology and this one is started (Automatic, not delayed).

I have waited for several minutes just in case one of them was a "Delayed Automatic" service, but that is not the case.
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Hello again.

I see this a lot in the event viewer, through the days, I mean in a timeframe, not just in one day (Sorry, not native English ) , which is more worrying:

Source: MSExchange ADAccess
        Event ID: 2102
        Task Cathegory: Topology

Details:

"Process STORE.EXE (PID=1224). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:
        dc1.limoreed.eu
        DC2.limoreed.eu"

I am far from being an expert neither in Exchange nor in VMWare, but someone told me that VMware, if shut down every night (I do so) can become unstable, but here I very often do a "fresh start" , namely, I restart all the machines almost everyday.

Maybe it is all about performance.
        -
        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
          Hello again.

I see this a lot in the event viewer, through the days, I mean in a timeframe, not just in one day (Sorry, not native English ) , which is more worrying:

Source: MSExchange ADAccess
          Event ID: 2102
          Task Cathegory: Topology

Details:

"Process STORE.EXE (PID=1224). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:
          dc1.limoreed.eu
          DC2.limoreed.eu"

I am far from being an expert neither in Exchange nor in VMWare, but someone told me that VMware, if shut down every night (I do so) can become unstable, but here I very often do a "fresh start" , namely, I restart all the machines almost everyday.

Maybe it is all about performance.
          I would say your AD system is not working correctly.

AD and Exchange are very tightly integrated and AD MUST be available for exchmage to operate.

Comment

Thanks Wulleib1.

As a matter of fact , there are other Active Directory related events taking place in the event viewer, but a dcdiag on DC1 (DC2 is offline, only online to backup sysvol and ntds, every day , for a few minutes) tells me nothing is wrong.

This is why I suggested the vmwares as the issue, because my physical machine has 8 GB RAM and four 1-GB RAM machines within.
            -
            Madrid (Spain).

Comment

can your Exchange server perform proper DNS lookups for the domain ?
              Is it pointing at the domain controller for dns ?

it definitely presents as an AD issue, rather than a VMware issue.

do you have firewalls getting in the way of the LDAP connections between Exchange and AD?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks TehCamel ,

All the machines point to the correct DNS servers (namely, the two DCs in the domain).

I didn't know much about NSLookup, but read a tutorial on the internet and from one of my exchange machines I performed:

nslookup name_machine my_dns_ip

and it went well, because I obtained the IP of that name_machine , within my domain. This is the way to use it ?.

I have found something very intereting, yet confusing, in the Event viewer. This is what I found:

"...The Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Assistants service failed to start due to the following error:
                The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. ..."

And the same error appears regarding the "Exchange Store" and the "mail submission" services.

May it be a performace issue?, because of the "timely fashion".

I have two DCs, a TMG 2010 Firewall and the Exchange machines, as follows:
                DCs: 192.168.2.X/24
                Exchange machines: 192.168.3.X/24
                TMG in between.

I am very used to working with ISA Server.
                Last edited by loureed4; 8th August 2014, 17:11.
                -
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

I would like to add something just in case it helps:

I have just started the other Mailbox server I have in my lab environment (all is a lab environment, vmware) , and it happens the exact same thing with this mailbox server (only Mailbox role installed).

I have four Exchange machines, two of them are CAS+HUB , and the other two are only Mailboxes.
                  -
                  Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Hi again,

I see this event in both Mailbox servers:

"Event ID 7009 . Timeout (%1 milliseconds) waiting for the %2 service to connect."

So I followed that is said in this article:
                    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

which comes down to creating a registry value called: "ServicesPipeTimeout"

I am restaring both servers to check if it worked fine.
                    -
                    Madrid (Spain).

Comment

My suspicion :

TMG 2010 Firewall

Why?:

I have just seen the Event ID 7000 and 7009 in the CAS Exchange server too, and it says that the POP3 and IMAP4 services cannot start in a timely fashion.

I have a rule in TMG with Kerberos, Ldap, Netbios, ping, CIF and all the necessary protocols between the DMZ and the LAN networks.

I will dig in further, I am confused.
                      -
                      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

To be perfectly honest, yes, you do sound a bit confused.

In which way could a firewall, TMG or otherwise, directly affect the POP3 and IMAP services on a completely different server? Most likely the services fail to start because a local resource is unavailable, like, say, the Exchange Information Store containing the mailboxes to which the IMAP and POP3 services are supposed to provide access.

As wullieb1 pointed out earlier, Exchange is tightly integrated with Active Directory and needs to query a DC for many critical operations. You already have an event generated by STORE.EXE telling you explicitly that Exchange has trouble accessing Active Directory (Event ID 2102). You need to make sure the Exchange server can access the Domain Controllers, and that is indeed something that could be affected by name resolution, routing and yes, firewall rules on the TMG server.

There is no VMware or "performance" issue here. Unless you've allocated so little memory to the Exchange VM that it actually runs out of resources while mounting the Information Store, there's no way VMware could be responsible for a service failing to start. You should concentrate on network issues and AD connectivity.

Another thing: Having a DC that's mostly offline sounds like a very odd setup, and one that is likely to result in strange, intermittent errors. For instance, how can you be sure the "offline" DC is able to synchronize AD properly in the short time it's online? And since the DC is no doubt listed in the SRV DNS records, clients are bound to query it from time to time, which will cause seemingly random delays as the request has to time out before the client tries another DC.

Comment

Thanks Serolmi for your help.

Yes, IMAP4 may fail because of the Information store does not start, along with other services, in all of my exchange servers.

The eventID, 7000 and 7009, with several services failing to start: Mail Submission , Information Store, Edge Sync, IMAP4, POP3, and there are others...even Net sharing fails to start due to a "not timely fashion".

What made me think most from your post is when you say how bad having DC2 offline is.

I checked the Event viewer in DC1 and there was this event:

Source: ActiveDirectory_DomainService
                          Event ID: 2092
                          Description: "This server is the owner of the following FSMO role, but does not consider it valid. For the partition which contains the FSMO, this server has not replicated successfully with any of its partners since this server has been restarted. Replication errors are preventing validation of this role. "

So I just thought:

Maybe it is all about having DC2 offline, and I have brought it online to check how things work now. Then I rebooted all my Exchange Servers but I have to wait to see if it works fine, because now the Information Store gets up and running, but not others, I just have to wait and restart the server twice or so.

As for the performance issue:

Since my machines are 1 GB RAM, I thought this could be the issue , because as far as I know Exchange demands a lot of RAM.
                          -
                          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                          X