No announcement yet.

SPF records and what to do with them

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPF records and what to do with them

So I found a thread from back in 2011 about SPF records on here but it is now closed. I would post a link but since I am new to the forums it wont allow me. So I will break up the link so the forum doesn't think its a real link.

http : / /

So I followed followed the suggested link in the last post. I received my SPF line that says needs to be entered as a TXT into the DNS. So the part that I am stuck at is where do I go to add this? My domain registrar? cPanel? The email is being sent from an Exchange 2007 server on a local server here in the office. Not sure if that info is needed but as of now I am new to this and a little confused.

Thanks for any help!

Re: SPF records and what to do with them

It is normally done on your public DNS server, so the domain cpanel is the most appropriate place.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Its mostly Used to Control spamming; some suggestion comes from Hosting People to maintain RDNS entries too.

Yes, SPF records show what mail servers can legitimately send emails on behalf of your domain.

There are loads of generators around to build a correct SPF record, such as this one:

The basic principal is that you need any mail servers sending email for your domain, to be listed in the SPF record in one way or another - I think it can be done by IP,FQDN,to include all mail servers associated with another IP and some other options as well.

The record should reside on whichever DNS server is responsible for your domain - so if you use this tool:

Whatever nameserver it reports for your domain, is the palce where you should go to add the TXT record.

As Ossian stated, in your case it will most likely be your cpanel server - unless you have only added an A record for your web hosting and your DNS/email is managed elsewhere.
        David Silvester
        Systems Administrator