Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

    Hello,

    I have been having some issue upgrading Exchange 2010 (RTM v14.00.0639.021) to SP3. According to all documentation that I have read I should have no issues upgrading from an older RTM version. I am receiving the following error related to the AD Schema (2008 R2, functional level of 200:

    **************
    [05/30/2014 13:38:20.0379] [0] Setup will run the task 'test-setuphealth'
    [05/30/2014 13:38:20.0394] [1] Setup launched task 'test-setuphealth -DomainController 'DC.domain.com' -DownloadConfigurationUpdates $true -ExchangeVersion '14.3.123.4' -Roles 'Global' -ScanType 'PrecheckInstall' -SetupRoles 'Global' -PrepareDomain $null -PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions $null -PrepareOrganization $true -PrepareSchema $true -CustomerFeedbackEnabled $false'
    [05/30/2014 13:38:23.0733] [1] Active Directory session settings for 'test-SetupHealth' are: View Entire Forest: 'True', Configuration Domain Controller: 'DC.domain.com', Preferred Global Catalog: 'DC.domain.com', Preferred Domain Controllers: '{ DC.domain.com }'
    [05/30/2014 13:38:23.0811] [1] Beginning processing test-setuphealth -DomainController:'DC.domain.com' -DownloadConfigurationUpdates:'True' -ExchangeVersion:'14.3.123.4' -Roles:'Global' -ScanType:'PrecheckInstall' -SetupRoles:'Global' -PrepareDomain:$null -PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions:$null -PrepareOrganization:'True' -PrepareSchema:'True' -CustomerFeedbackEnabled:'False'
    [05/30/2014 13:38:30.0721] [1] Active Directory session settings for 'Get-OrganizationConfig' are: View Entire Forest: 'True', Configuration Domain Controller: 'DC.domain.com', Preferred Global Catalog: 'DC.domain.com', Preferred Domain Controllers: '{ DC.domain.com }'
    [05/30/2014 13:38:30.0721] [1] Beginning processing Get-OrganizationConfig
    [05/30/2014 13:38:30.0737] [1] Searching objects of type "OrganizationConfig" with filter "$null", scope "SubTree" under the root "$null".
    [05/30/2014 13:38:30.0909] [1] Previous operation run on domain controller 'DC.domain.com'.
    [05/30/2014 13:38:30.0909] [1] Preparing to output objects. The maximum size of the result set is "unlimited".
    [05/30/2014 13:38:31.0845] [1] Ending processing Get-OrganizationConfig
    [05/30/2014 13:38:38.0506] [1] [REQUIRED] The Active Directory Schema is not up-to-date, and this user account is not a member of the 'Schema Admins' and/or 'Enterprise Admins' group.
    [05/30/2014 13:38:38.0537] [1] [REQUIRED] Global updates need to be made to Active Directory, and this user account is not a member of the 'Enterprise Admins' group.
    [05/30/2014 13:38:38.0537] [1] [REQUIRED] A reboot from a previous installation is pending. Please restart the system and rerun setup.
    [05/30/2014 13:38:38.0568] [1] Ending processing test-setuphealth
    [05/30/2014 13:38:38.0568] [0] The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.
    [05/30/2014 13:38:38.0584] [0] End of Setup
    Things I have done are, verify user is a member of appropriate groups, rebooted servers, and ran commands from an elevated command prompt. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have managed to fix the pending reboot issue. Now I just cant seem to get the schema update going.

  • #2
    Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

    Anyone have thoughts? This is very strange.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

      Is the account you are using for this update a member of the enterprise and scheme admins group?
      Don't forget to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

        Yes. Thats why this is so strange. Could it be a forest issue?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

          Hi, does this give you any further information.
          The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.
          Don't forget to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

            Also (although I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be necessary for a Service Pack installation), have you tried running ForestPrep on the DC holding the Schema Master role?

            Are all your domain controllers replicating properly?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

              Originally posted by _TechSup1983 View Post
              Hi, does this give you any further information.
              The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.
              I already posted what's in that log file.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

                Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
                Also (although I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be necessary for a Service Pack installation), have you tried running ForestPrep on the DC holding the Schema Master role?

                Are all your domain controllers replicating properly?
                Replication is working perfectly. I have not tried the ForestPrep switch. Is that another option on setup.com?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

                  Originally posted by ice2921 View Post
                  Replication is working perfectly. I have not tried the ForestPrep switch. Is that another option on setup.com?
                  It's the /preparead switch (it used to be called ForestPrep in previous version of Exchange Server). I doubt it will make any difference, as you shouldn't have been able to install Exchange 2010 in the first place if the schema is incomplete. (Then again, the SP3 setup.exe could be detecting something the original setup.exe missed. It's not likely, but not impossible either.)

                  What does your domain structure look like? Do you have more than one domain in the forest, and if so, were any of the domains created after the installation of Exchange 2010?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

                    Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
                    It's the /preparead switch (it used to be called ForestPrep in previous version of Exchange Server). I doubt it will make any difference, as you shouldn't have been able to install Exchange 2010 in the first place if the schema is incomplete. (Then again, the SP3 setup.exe could be detecting something the original setup.exe missed. It's not likely, but not impossible either.)

                    What does your domain structure look like? Do you have more than one domain in the forest, and if so, were any of the domains created after the installation of Exchange 2010?
                    Yeah that what I've been running. I think you're on to something. I've inherited this environment, and im thinking that some things were done in AD that hasn't been passed on. Whats the best place to look for that info? AD Sites and services, ADSIEDIT? FYI There are two DCs, I have also created a new user and added only the Enterprise Admin and Schema Admin Group. Still gave me the same error.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

                      If you've tried running setup with /PrepareSchema and /PrepareAD, you might want to try /PrepareAllDomains as well. You should run setup.exe with these switches on the DC holding the Schema Master role, not on the Exchange Server.

                      To check for missing schema attributes, you'd have to use ADSIEdit. Also, you'd have to know exactly what to look for, which in this case you don't.

                      The error message in the log is annoyingly vague. It would be great if the log contained entries like "setup.exe attempted to perform <exact description of the operation in question>, but the following error occurred: <exact error message>", instead of just "I think there might be something wrong with the schema. Bye!" In some (rare) cases, setup.exe logs errors to the Application log, so you might want to check there if you haven't already done so.

                      I'm not at all convinced the schema is the issue here; it could just as well be a communications issue between the Exchange server and one of the DCs. Check that the DNS names of both DCs resolve to the correct IP addresses on the Exchange server.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

                        Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
                        If you've tried running setup with /PrepareSchema and /PrepareAD, you might want to try /PrepareAllDomains as well. You should run setup.exe with these switches on the DC holding the Schema Master role, not on the Exchange Server.

                        To check for missing schema attributes, you'd have to use ADSIEdit. Also, you'd have to know exactly what to look for, which in this case you don't.

                        The error message in the log is annoyingly vague. It would be great if the log contained entries like "setup.exe attempted to perform <exact description of the operation in question>, but the following error occurred: <exact error message>", instead of just "I think there might be something wrong with the schema. Bye!" In some (rare) cases, setup.exe logs errors to the Application log, so you might want to check there if you haven't already done so.

                        I'm not at all convinced the schema is the issue here; it could just as well be a communications issue between the Exchange server and one of the DCs. Check that the DNS names of both DCs resolve to the correct IP addresses on the Exchange server.
                        Running /PrepareAD on the forest root domain already runs that command. I have tested DNS on the exchange server and its resolving correctly. In addition, I am running the commands on the schema master not the exchange server.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

                          If the schema is correct on the Schema Master DC, and replication works as it should, then there's really no way the error can be caused by a missing schema attribute. That's why I'm inclined to suspect there's something else going on here.

                          Are there no Exchange or AD related errors or warnings in any of the event logs?

                          Have you tried specifying a domain controller with the /dc parameter? (Not sure if it has any effect when installing a Service Pack, though.)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

                            Still no joy see below:
                            Code:
                             
                            C:\SP3>setup.com /p /dc:dc2.domain
                            Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Unattended Setup
                            Setup will continue momentarily, unless you press any key and cancel the
                            installation. By continuing the installation process, you agree to the license
                            terms of Microsoft Exchange Server 2010.
                            If you don't accept these license terms, please cancel the installation. To
                            review the license terms, please go to
                            http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Link...7&clcid=0x409/
                            Press any key to cancel setup................
                            No key presses were detected.  Setup will continue.
                            Preparing Exchange Setup
                                Copying Setup Files                           COMPLETED
                            No server roles will be installed
                            Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check
                                Organization Checks                                       FAILED
                                 The Active Directory Schema is not up-to-date, and this user account is not
                             a member of the 'Schema Admins' and/or 'Enterprise Admins' group.
                                 Global updates need to be made to Active Directory, and this user account i
                            s not a member of the 'Enterprise Admins' group.
                                 The local domain needs to be updated. You must be a member of the 'Domain A
                            dmins' group and 'Organization Management' role group, or 'Enterprise Admins' gr
                            oup to continue.
                             
                            The Exchange Server setup operation didn't complete. More details can be found
                            in ExchangeSetup.log located in the <SystemDrive>:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.
                            Exchange Server setup encountered an error.
                            C:\SP3>

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Exchange 2010 SP3 Install Problems

                              Looks like your server is having problems seeing the domain correctly, so cannot see the permissions.
                              Have you rebooted the server to see if that improves things?
                              If you reboot the server, check the event log before doing anything else to confirm that there are no AD related errors.

                              Simon.
                              --
                              Simon Butler
                              Exchange MVP

                              Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

                              Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X