Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

    Exchange 2013

    c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp.

    is it possible to delete these temp files?

    The temp folder is currently at 52gigs and growing.
    Last edited by bigalusn; 16th May 2014, 14:57.

  • #2
    Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

    After reading through a very long TechNet forum thread regarding this exact issue, it appears as though the consensus is that you should be able to safely delete older files in this directory. Here is the most applicable post in that TechNet thread:

    Originally posted by fretep
    OK. I raised a ticket on this. They know about it. Apparently it occurs more on Windows Server 2012 than Server 2008 R2. I closed my ticket without going down the rabbit hole of trying to get it fixed, but I assume it will be on the radar to be fixed at some point. It didn't sound like anyone had pushed for them to actually chase root cause or to get it fixed, so that might not be the case.

    So the directory is used for content conversion in the transport pipeline, which we had already assumed anyway, but the outcome was the files are safe to delete even if the message is still in the transport queue. In fact, I was told if you can delete the file (i.e. if it isn't locked), it is safe to delete.

    I am going to err on the side of caution and leave our script to delete them after 14 days without modification.

    Hope that helps.

    Friday, February 28, 2014 1:12 AM
    I would recommend that you read through this TechNet article yourself and make your own determination before you proceed, though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

      Originally posted by Ksuvi Khor View Post
      After reading through a very long TechNet forum thread regarding this exact issue, it appears as though the consensus is that you should be able to safely delete older files in this directory. Here is the most applicable post in that TechNet thread:


      I would recommend that you read through this TechNet article yourself and make your own determination before you proceed, though.

      Yes read that entire post, but the problem remains open many people that posted the same issue. So there is no clear answer, safe to delete or not.

      But I did find the link below on how to move this to another disk drive, but again it's not clear on deleting or why this keeps growing and what happens when it reaches disk size. this is very poorly created by MS. Should be a much better or easier option for this.

      http://www.jaapwesselius.com/2014/03...exchange-2013/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

        Understood and agreed, for sure.

        It might be worth it to risk the potential $275 to open up a ticket with M$ about this. If it is considered a known issue with their product then they should not charge you for it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

          Originally posted by Ksuvi Khor View Post
          Understood and agreed, for sure.

          It might be worth it to risk the potential $275 to open up a ticket with M$ about this. If it is considered a known issue with their product then they should not charge you for it.

          my thoughts exactly, thanks for your quick replies!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

            You are quite welcome!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

              Hi, here is a guide to 'back pressure' in exchange. It's a good read. It basically says there is some underlying issue which is causing this, and it should be investigated.
              I wouldn't just delete the folder as it could cause other issues, but find out the reason is grown so large in the first place.
              http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchang...back-pressure/
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

              MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

                Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                Hi, here is a guide to 'back pressure' in exchange. It's a good read. It basically says there is some underlying issue which is causing this, and it should be investigated.
                I wouldn't just delete the folder as it could cause other issues, but find out the reason is grown so large in the first place.
                http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchang...back-pressure/
                this is more of a band aid then a fix, but thanks. Still no fix from MS on this design, even with CU5. unreal.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

                  i agree, dont just delete them until there is a m$ acknowldgement of the issue and subsequent explaination and hotfix to corect the issue. you never know what you might need out of them, and gates knows the minute you delete them your going to need them.

                  with the high availability and low cost of large hard drives these days, it wouldnt be hard to go out and spend $100 or less on a 1 terabyte external drive and backup that directory to it, then free up your space. you still have the data, just not clogging up your system drive...
                  its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                  Give karma where karma is due...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

                    I stopped the Transport Services, renamed the temp folder (temp.old), restarted the services, and then copy the temp.old folder to an external, then deleted the folder out of the directory.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
                      Re: c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\data\Temp

                      I stopped the Transport Services, renamed the temp folder (temp.old), restarted the services, and then copy the temp.old folder to an external, then deleted the folder out of the directory.
                      Thanks bigalusn
                      Works for me.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X