Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2013 SP1 fails - database problem (again)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exchange 2013 SP1 fails - database problem (again)

    I am trying to install Exchange 2013 SP1 (complete product). I go through and install the default minimum roles needed for Exchange and that installs fine. I go back and install the Mailbox role and I get an error:

    "The Exchange server for the database object "Mailbox Database 0637172224" wasn't found in Active Directory Domain Services. The object may be corrupted."

    Sorry for the large type, didn't feel like retyping. If I look in ADSIEDIT there are a few databases under CN=Databases all tied to the name of the Exchange server I am trying to install. That db above is there. I read in another forum that I should try deleting this db and try setup again. Problem is there are maybe 3 other db's there (probably from failed installs) and I am a little hesitant on deleting them all. We have an Exchange Server 2007 running and I don't want to mess that one up.


    What would be the logic to deleting these databases? Just seems to me I'd get the same error again just with a different db name. What should I do?


    BTW I did this install on a fresh Windows Server 2008 R2 VM and I deleted the exchange server object for this vm from AD. Then did the install.

  • #2
    Re: Exchange 3013 SP1 fails - database problem (again)

    I am guessing, but I think you have some legacy Exchange information in Active Directory

    Did you have a previous Exchange server (any version) and if so, did you remove remove it cleanly (uninstall each exchange server)? If not, you will need to clean up Active Directory before you add more Exchange servers - a fresh VM is not enough

    [EDIT - just spotted Exchange 3013 - this would be the advance preview? ]
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Exchange 3013 SP1 fails - database problem (again)

      There is an Exchange 2007 server there as I mentioned. That needs to stay so I can then migrate users over.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Exchange 3013 SP1 fails - database problem (again)

        OK - I missed that, but picked up on
        BTW I did this install on a fresh Windows Server 2008 R2 VM and I deleted the exchange server object for this vm from AD. Then did the install.
        That is where I suspect something has been left behind
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Exchange 3013 SP1 fails - database problem (again)

          Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          OK - I missed that, but picked up on

          That is where I suspect something has been left behind
          Yes I agree. I need to know how to manually uninstall all that stuff from AD without affecting Exchange 2007. I know HOW to do it but I am not 200% sure exactly WHAT I should delete. I don't know what Exchange 2007 items are there I should not be touching.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Exchange 3013 SP1 fails - database problem (again)

            This may be where a phone call to Microsoft Product Support Services ($$$ involved) is worth the cost - they will work the problem with you until it is resolved.

            Best bet would be if the computer account for the Exchange 2010 server still exists and you can join a new build server to the domain using that computer account, do a DR install of Exchange, and then move it cleanly. The trouble is you have tampered with AD (one of many reasons why ADSIEdit should only be touched in extremis) so it is not likely a DR install would succeed.

            Without knowing a lot more about your environment, I hesitate to offer any more advice in case it makes things worse.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

            Comment

            Working...
            X