Exchange Server 2007 usage problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server 2007 usage problem

I'm testing out Exchange 2007 SP3 on a Windows 2008 R2 VMWare environment and for the life of me I can't get it to work. Basically, here's what I did:

1.) Create a VMWare virtual machine and installed Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ SP1 on it.

2.) Installed all Windows updates.

3.) Created a linked clone of that original virtual machine. Let's call them svr1 and svr2, respectively, now.

4.) Promoted svr1 to DC with built-in DNS server.

5.) Joined svr2 to domain.

6.) Installed Exchange 2007 SP3 prerequisites for both servers.

7.) Installed Exchange 2007 w/ SP3 Hub Transport and CAS server roles on DC (svr1).

8.) Installed Exchange 2007 w/ SP3 Mailbox server role on member server (svr2).

9.) Applied all critical updates for Exchange and rebooted both machines.
    This is where the problem shows. When I open up Exchange Management Console (EMC) in svr1, I get this error:

Warning:
    ERROR: Could not connect to the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service on server svr2.smex21.local. One of the following problems may be occurring:
    1- The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is not running.
    2- There is no network connectivity to server
    svr2.smex21.local.
    3- You do not have sufficient permissions to perform this command. The following permissions are required to perform this command: Exchange View-Only Administrator and local administrators group for the target server.
    4- Credentials have been cached for an unpriviledged user. Try removing the entry for this server from Stored User Names and Passwords.

I'm very sure that it is not 1 and 2 that's causing the problem. For number 3, I'm logged in as the domain administrator which has all permissions so this could not be the problem. For number 4, I already tried changing password to no avail.

I even tried reinstalling everything (including the OS) and redoing it all over again with Windows 2008 (non-R2) and has the same behavior. It seems that I'm doing something wrong here but I really can't pinpoint it.

The weird thing is that when I reinstall everything and interchange the roles on the servers (DC and Mailbox in one and HUB/CAS on the other) it works just fine.

Please help. Thanks.

Re: Exchange Server 2007 usage problem

BUMP! 10char.

Comment

Kevin
      We take a dim view of posters (especially with almost no posts to their name) bumping threads.

So you didn't get a reply in 27 hours, over a holiday weekend. You really should ask for a refund of your membership fees

If you really need support on that timescale, contact Microsoft Product Support Services who have teams of engineers at the ready (even on Easter Sunday) to leap into action to help you. I believe they accept all major credit cards now.

Alternatively, have some patience and wait for some of the real experts here to take a break from the day jobs and family life and give their advice.

I suspect the issue is that you have Exchange split between a DC (not recommended) and a member server, and any of the reinstalls you have done have made it worse.

If this (as it seems) is a learning/development environment, consider blowing all away and creating a 3 server virtual network: DC and 2xExchange, and seeing what happens then (I see you have actually done something similar, and resolved the problem.) Also did you manage to connect to svr1 from svr2 in the original configuration?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry about that, I really do apologize.

Anyway, I have a limited number of resources for my testing so I can only use two servers as of the moment.

Oh and by the way, the uninstall reinstall that I have done were from scratch meaning from a fresh install of an OS and Exchange, so that did not make things worse.

Comment

Another thought - if you cloned the original VM, did you sysprep it first? issue could be duplicate SIDs
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That's also what I was thinking. I thought that was done automatically by vmware?

How do you do a sysprep?

Comment

I did a sysprep and that solved the problem. You can close this case now. Thanks!

Comment

Well done, and thanks for posting back
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X