Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring Exchange for external emails

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm new to Exchange and email servers in general, so am not sure I have the right idea...

I have cofigured an Exchange server following these steps (Youtube video: youtube.com/watch?v=I0jS-YpF3Zc). I don't understand how to get the final part working though.

I have a domain hosted with a registrar and can edit the nameservers, MX records etc, but have no idea what to set the MX records as to get external email working! I do have a static IP with the ISP.

My setup:
    • Static IP address
    • My server running DC (domain is "mydomain.com"), DNS, DHCP and Exchange 2010
    • Domain "mydomain.com" (external) - registrar lets you add/change the following record types: A, CNAME, MX, URL, FRAME, TXT, SRV

What I have tried:

Setting MX record to the static IP given by the ISP; result: IP address not accepted - it has to be a hostname - no idea what to put here!

What can I do to get this working?

If it helps, my domain registrar allows me to create the following types of record (A, CNAME, MX, URL, FRAME, TXT, SRV).

Many thanks,

Bill

Re: Configuring Exchange for external emails

Would creating an A record pointing to the static IP do the job?

So under the following columns:
    TYPE: A record
    KEY: @
    VALUE: My static IP

Thanks,

Bill

Comment

You need to create an A record for the server that "points" to the ip address, then create an MX record that "points" to the A record.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        You need to create an A record for the server that "points" to the ip address, then create an MX record that "points" to the A record.
        As joeqwerty says you need to setup an 'A' record that will set your record that will point to your external IP,

mail.yourorg.com xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

then create a MX record that points to your 'A' record

yourorg.com MX preference = 15, mail exchanger = mail.yourorg.com

Comment

@wullieb1 & @joeqwerty: Thanks for your replies; I will try this out today

Comment

Working...
          X