No announcement yet.

Default Database Ex 2010

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default Database Ex 2010

I installed SBS2011 which comes with Exchange 2010, at some point during the migration from SBS2003 I had the need to set up a new exchange database (can't remember why). This resulted in two Exchange databases, the new database is mounted and has all my imported users, the other DB that Exchange creates automatically was / is dismounted.

Everything works fine until.......

When I create a new user in the domain using the SBS user wizard the mailbox for SBS the user is created in the dismounted database, I have a workaround by mounting the unused DB and moving the new user to the other DB but this is not good in the long term.

Would deleting the unused DB fix the problem ?

Re: Default Database Ex 2010

Normally I would say "yes" but since this is SBS, it is a law unto itself, so it may cause problems. Exchange itself will (unless you specify a db) attempt to "load balance" by putting new mailboxes in any database it likes.

IMHO leave the default db mounted and every so often do a move of any mailboxes in it.

You could look at excluding the default database ( but again SBS may have other ideas
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

There is a registry change you have to make in SBS to point it at the database. The same change has to be made if you rename the database (which you could do if you wish).

The change is covered in this KB article:

If you don't make the change, the wizard to create the user will fail.

I would get that default database mounted though, as it will contain Exchange system mailboxes as well. If you want to remove it then you will need to remove those too.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

I have mounted the default database and so far so good, no errors - I think I'll just leave it as it is. Good call re the system mailboxes