Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making exchange live

Hi ,

We have recently installed exchange 2010 in our environment , but now we want to make it live so that we can send receive mails from out side. We do have one static ip provided from ISP. I discuss the things with Godaddy service provider that if they can provide me a domain name service and inside that i can create my A record as my server 's public ip provided from ISP and create MX Record ip is same. but they are telling that they are not sure , that it will work or not.

Can anyone suggest some other way to make my exchange server live ..we do have 25 users in office...and email traffic will be quite heavy..

please help...

thanks....

Re: making exchange live

I think you may have explained things badly to GoDaddy as it is quite a simple process

Assuming you have a public domain (Kathy.com or whatever), do the following:
    1) Create an address policy in Exchange to give your users appropriate public email addresses
    2) Open port 25 on your router and forward it to the internal IP of the exchange box
    3) Go to your public DNS control panel (at GoDaddy or whoever you bought your domain from and point all MX records at your public IP - check the online instructions on what to change , it may be the MX records, or it may be A records that the MX records point to)
    4) Wait up to 48 hours for the DNS change to propagate and watch all the lovely spam flow in
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

For Godaddy you will need to create a new A record that points to your static IP address, so something like mail.example.com.
      Then set the MX record to mail.example.com, removing the two hosts that Godaddy put in place by default.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply...Actually before making some more changes as pper your guidance my hdd crashed so i am trying to reinstall my exchange server but this time , i am getting a strange error...

I am installing HT,CS , MB roll on a single vm...my dc is a physical machine but for exchange machine i am using a vm instde the vmware workstation...is the error due to that or do i need to make some other changes ..please help..

please check the screen shot files...

thanks...
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi ,

Do i need to install MB role in a separate vm ?

Comment

If you had a previous exchange installation, you will need to recover it (or remove it) before doing another install.

Join the new server to the domain using the computer account of the failed server, then run exchange setup with the /recoverserver switch

(lots more information if you )
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for the quick reply..

Actually this is total fresh installation , i do not having any backup from that hdd..also error is quite strange..what should i do as inside google search...please elaborate more on this...

Thanks..

Comment

It is NOT a fresh install unless you removed all traces of Exchange from your AD (or set up a new AD). If the previous Exchange server crashed, AD still thinks it is there, and you must do the appropriate disaster recovery.
                Check , it has a lot of helpful stuff:
                https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ex...CtDR8gez_oHoCQ
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
                  what should i do as inside google search...please elaborate more on this...
                  You are kidding, aren't you?
                  The normal thing is to type in a few words (or phrases) on the subject you want to find - in this case "exchange 2010 recoverserver"

If you really need elaboration, please read https://support.google.com/websearch...#topic=3378866
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Hi ,

Sorry if i miss represent the things , but in my case now i am creating a fresh active directory server and then i am trying to install exchange on it but still i am getting the error..

what exactly that error means...its too long and strange...

Comment

Is this a totally new domain or another DC in the current domain?
                      If it is the current domain, you WILL need to get rid of the old exchange installation
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply ..

I just create a MX Record and A Record , where the domain is hosted but still if i am reply to my mail its not reaching to the inbox in exchange.

In my hosting panel , i do have option to enter MX record and i enter it as exchangesrv.mydomain.co.in and in A Record i enter the public ip provided from my ISP to my office...

Is this the correct way...? or i must have to enter it as "mail.mydomain.co.in" and in exchange server , i enter it as only "mydomain.co.in" in the step while it ask us to enter the CAS Server address ...

If i am doing a ping exchangesrv.mydomain.co.in , i am getting a reply from the public ip of my isp in my office...

so where exactly the problem is ..

please help....

Comment

OK, so sometime in the last three weeks you've fixed the original problems and (I ass-u-me) got Exchange up and running internally.

Have you created accepted domains and address policies for your public domain?

MX records normally point to mail.domain.com, mail2.domain.com but there is no requirement for this - go to http://mxtoolbox.com/ and look up your public domain - as long as the IP is correct, you are good to go.

Finally, for the avoidance of any doubt, make sure your router forwards port 25 from your public IP to the internal IP of the HT (Hub Transport) server
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Hi ,

Will it be fine , if i create the record such as "servername.abc.co.in" in my case it is "exchangesrv.abc.co.in" in place of mail.abc.co.in...

Also I already configure outside interface name as only "abc.co.in" in place of " mail.abc.co.in" while configuring exchange server ..will this be fine...can i change this to mail.abc.co.in...

Thanks...

Comment

Not knowing what hardware or DNS control panel you are using, it is impossible to say - can you post screenshots to help us understand what is going on
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X