Demote on premise 2007 exchange server after Migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demote on premise 2007 exchange server after Migration

We just migrated to Office 365 and we now wish to decommission our old 2007 exchange server. I am not going to move request my mailboxes to another server and the mailbox database will not be deleted with all the active accounts within it even though they are unused after being copied to the cloud. All I can think is to disabled all the mailboxes, groups and contacts and then run a powershell script to purge them. Maybe then when I go to uninstall exchange it will pass the checks and uninstall exchange successfully. I am a bit worried about the effects it will have on active directory objects but I test a few accounts and the mailbox purges did not effect the ad accounts so that was good. I see all kinds of documentation online about moving mailboxes and getting rid of old second servers but not alot about getting rid of your only on premise after migration to the cloud. Any advise or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Re: Demote on premise 2007 exchange server after Migration

Update: It seems that disabling & purging contacts and mailboxes causes issues with dirsync reading the exchange attributes. I had to use quest AD recovery to restore the attributes to get the contacts and accounts to sync back to office 356. So that appears to be a dead end. Short of just turning off the server and doing a bit of clean up in adsi edit I don't have too many other ideas on demoting the server without effecting the exchange attributes on the accounts. I welcome any help on this issue, thanks

Comment

so you're doing a full migration from onsite Exchange and AD to hosted 365 +onsite AD with federation ?

im a bit hazy, but isn't there documentation that outlines it all ? if your federation is setup, you should be able to remove the onsite server because it can see the cloud-hsoted one through federation
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Haven't setup federation services yet. Just using dirsync like listed below. Not worried about the authentication but the users accounts and exchange properties associated being synced to the cloud though AD. I just went ahead and turned off the exchange server over the weekend. I talked to Microsoft technicians various times and I could not find any documentation about what to do with an exchange server after a cutover migration. I will just partial remove it from AD and pretend it crashed. I do not believe there is a good way to remove an exchange server with a db full of mailboxes that were copied and not "moved" to the cloud without effecting the accounts in the directory in a negative way for office 365. Unless proved wrong I will assume it's the best way after a cut over migration.

Comment

Working...
        X