Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server Setup for Labs- Dynamic IP /Static IP

Hi all,

I know little bit about exchange now I want to setup labs so I can send and receive emails from outside, But Problem is I have only dynamic IP addres, Is there any to setup lab with dynamic I ? or any alternative solution ?

Re: Exchange Server Setup for Labs- Dynamic IP /Static IP

Since MX records point to a DNS name rather than an IP address, you can use DynDNS or similar to point your public domain at your servers IP
    (You will need at least one proper domain name)

Obviously if the service does not update quickly if your IP changes, you will have issues!

Not recommended in production but perfectly fine in a lab scenario
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You could use one of those DNS services where you can change the A record dynamically as the address changes, such as DNSDynamic. I certainly wouldn't recommend this for a production system due to the non-zero risk of mail being delivered to the wrong IP address, but for lab purposes it would probably be fine.

You'll probably still have to get a "proper" domain or subdomain, as you'll probably have trouble obtaining an SSL certificate for a free subdomain generated by a dynamic DNS provider.

Edit: I see Ossian beat me to it.
      Last edited by Ser Olmy; 29th January 2014, 10:23.

Comment

Thanks all, I got it, I have Domain from godaddy, I can buy dyndns premium service for testing lab, and then revert back you if I have any issues for setting up,

I am planning to Configure Ex 2010 and after some use I will upgrade to Ex Change 2013, so I can learn very well .

Comment

Working...
        X