Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Archives, PST format, how to back them up incrementally

Hi,

We have around 200 Outlook users, who if not all of them, then the majority use .pst files as a means of storing/archiving mails when their mailboxes are nearly full.

The .PST files in total come to over 2 terabyte in size, so each night, we run a daily backup onto tape.

We are thinking of moving to a cloud situation, and I am a bit concerned that this is a huge amount of data that is being backed up daily, and thus the cost implications and was wondering if there is a way of incrementally backing up the .pst archives, since most users will only be reading and not writing back to these archives?

Regards
    TK

Re: Outlook Archives, PST format, how to back them up incrementally

Not that I'm aware of. Opening the PST file, even to just read it, changes the modified date of the file and sets the Archive bit, meaning any backup is going to back up the file because the file has changed since the last backup.

Comment

rather than using PST files (which are god awful to manage) consider some sort of Archival solution.

you mentioned you're moving to cloud solution. Look at Office35, which offers retention holds and other archival things if you have the right plan
      sure, you'd have to inject eveyrthing you currently have.. but it could be an option

also, Enterprise Vault could be an option..

I beleive that PSTs prefer to corrupt themselves on days ending in Y.. something about the letter offends them.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Have to echo what tehcamel said: PST files are downright dangerous to use as long-term storage. They are not supported for use over a network, prone to spontaneous combustion, wildly inefficient in usage of space and have no searching or indexing capabilities.

If you aren't going to the cloud anytime soon I would either look into an email archiving product (GFI MailArchiver is a reasonable low cost option if you already have SQL Server, Enterprise Vault is very expensive) or alternatively invest in more storage space and import the email back into Exchange and remove the quotas. Your Exchange backups will get bigger but it's pretty easy with most products to do differentials or incrementals through the week and a weekend full, for example.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X