Exchange 2010 Keep Deleted Items settings doesn't remove expired emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 Keep Deleted Items settings doesn't remove expired emails

I have a customer with a Server 2008 R2 DC running Exchange 2010 version 14.03.0123.003. In addition to backups I have also set the Mailbox Server to Keep Deleted Items for 45 days. The location of the mail database is also on the same hard disk where the "deleted items" logs are located. Even with the Keep Deleted Items set for 45 days, there is enough space to hold items deleted that long but not much space. Basically deleted emails that have expired and are pass the 45 day mark are still present and not removed, I have to do this manually. If this isn't done, the disk gets full and exchange shuts down due to back pressure.

After I configured the Keep Deleted Items setting, I made sure to restart the transport service among others and eventually restarting the server itself to no avail, I still have to manually detete the log files created when an email item is deleted.

Not sure how I can get this setting to take and automatically remove any deleted items pass the 45 days. I figure I must be missing a simple setting (hopefully).

Any ideas?

Re: Exchange 2010 Keep Deleted Items settings doesn't remove expired emails

Hi!

What are the procedures you followed to accomplish this task!

bye..

Comment

In the Exchange Management Console, under Organization Configuration, chose the Mailbox server, on the right detaill pane, under the database management tab, right clicked the mailbox database and chose properties. In the limits tab, i changed keep deleted items for (days) to 45 then restarted the Exchange Transport service and eventually rebooted but Exchange doesn't remove any items older than 45 days, I end up having to do it manually.

Comment

Did you also select the "do not delete unless backed up" option - if so, are your backups properly notifying Exchange that they are successful?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry for not keeping up with the post, holidays were crazy with projects. Anywho, the option "don't permanently delete items until database has been backed up" was NOT checked. I went ahead to check that option however I don't think the backup solution is notifying exchange that a backup was successful. I checked the General tab of the mailbox database properties where it stated the last full backup was about a year ago. This isn't true as the backup solution, Acronis Backup and Recovery, has been successfully backuping the servers and mailbox database for awhile now. Ironically I think we installed Acronis around April of last year.

Comment

Ok a follow up. yesterday I checked the option "don't delete items until database is backed up". I created a windows backup of just the database *.edb file and temp *.edb file last night, that backup was successful but looks like it's still not talking with exchange saying the database has been backed up because exchange still thinks the last full backup was last year.

Comment

It still doesn't sound like you are doing an Exchange aware backup.
              You don't backup the files themselves, the backup application should have an option for Exchange. That is what you need to select.

If Windows Backup isn't working for you, then download the demo version of Backup Assist. That will do the job.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Finally got this to work. I had to chane the VSS copy backup option to VSS Full backup option for the Windows server backup. Now the deleted items are automatically being deleted. HOWEVER, only the last 2 days of deleted items are being retained rather than the 45 days I have configured for the database. I changed the number of days to 40, applied and hit ok from the properties of the database, restarted the Transport and Information Store services. I'll check back in a few days to see if Exhange is still only retaining 2 days instead of what I have configured.

Comment

Working...
                X