Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook hangs randomly after realocation of Exchange 2007

Hello Guys,
    At first a couple of information’s regarding my environment.
    Mail server is a 2008 Server with Exchange 2007 latest SP and RU
    Client are Win7 and Vista with Outlook 2007

- Last weekend I shipped our mail server from our office into our data center

- Between our local office network and the local data center network we have a IPSec tunnel held by our firewalls.
    - The Server Subnet moved to firewall in the Datacenter, the client range remained on the office Firewall.
    Since I’m a cool admin everything works like a charm J yet there is one little problem that hits a couple of people: (it pops up in front of Outlook)

The message says: (translated from German) contacting server in order to retrieve informations.

The message comes sporadically when clicking through e-mails, scrolling or right- clicking Meanwhile , of course, nothing works ... so the Outlook window becomes slightly transparent (no feedback appears at the top bar.)

I thought that Exchange/Outlook with cached mode would not do such nonsense but I was taught better
    J

The Interfaces on the firewall are not busy at all - both sides (max. 30% of 10Mbit are used)

The mail server itself has enough hardware performance as it served in the local office without any troubles.

I have already turned off the anti-virus scanner on the client - without success.
    I have checked the subnets and sites in the AD and DNS all clean are clean.

Strange is that this problem only sporadically hits a certain group of users. I by now it seems that these users are in part of the building. So it might be some “buggyness” going on in the office LAN. I would simply like understand more about this problem and why it occurs before I start trying this or that…

I also did a trace using Microsoft Network Monitor, but I do not know what exactly to look for and what is "normal"…. I was getting these (maybe bad) messages at the time of the " Hang Up :

MSRPC : c / o Request : Exchange Server STORE Async interface EMSMDB { 5261574A - 4572 - 206E - B268 - 6B199213B4E4 } = 0x2ED OPNUM Call = 0x0 Context = 0x1 Hint = 0x18

MSRPC : c / o Response : Exchange Server STORE Async interface EMSMDB { 5261574A - 4572 - 206E - B268 - 6B199213B4E4 = 0x311 } Call = 0x8 Context = 0x1 Hint Cancels = 0x0

Whether it’s really related to the Issue, I’m not sure...

Hope for some good suggestions

Thank you
    Michael

Re: Outlook hangs randomly after realocation of Exchange 2007

It's probably due to the latency of the link if you had no problems when it was local.

But in cached mode you shouldn't be seeing this message for items in the user's mailbox. When does this message pop up? Is it when accessing a shared mailbox or public folder? Are you sure cached mode is enabled?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

I'm quite sure that your are almoust right. that was also me thinking in the beginning.

The latency between the Office and the DataCenter is 16ms compared to the 1ms before (as the Server was in the LAN)

I checked the Users Settings in Outlook it is in Cached Mode.
      This happens when the users opens, scrolls or rightclicks various mails in his own Mailbox...

Thanks
      Michael
      Last edited by uLmi; 21st November 2013, 16:07.

Comment

Hmm...

- any firewalls, gateway AV, or such in the path?
        Any changes to the AV on client or server?
        DNS records all correct and clients and servers are in proper sites?
        AD sites defined correctly with subnets and DCs located properly?

With cached mode I wouldn't think you'd be seeing those messages when accessing the cache. Are we sure the health of the local machines are good?

Might be worth checking out what the Exchange User Monitor says about the latency for the user(s) having issues: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=11461
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Again,

there are Firewalls on the egde of each lan-segment and they are Holding up a IPsec tunnel between both Subnets.. nothing like rocketsience.

DNS and Sites/Subnets are good.

AV are not on the Firewall. they are lying on the Server and the Clients (no difference to before Migration)

I took a screenshot of the Exchange Monitoring tool during a Peak of usage:

is this okay ? havent heard any complaints today..

I'm not sure what you mean by are the Clients healthy ...

Comment

Those response times look OK to me.

Are things still performing well?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

in General things are very well, 90 % of the users dont have this Problem at all.

just some user have it randomly and complain once in a while.

Ist hard to get a Hand on this issue ... do you believe it is related to Network latency / bandwidth ?

/Update:

I saw an interesting Error message in the Server logs: something like ASP.net restarts because not healthy or stale Status (some hints for Deadlocks) with the Web server or somewhat.

the KB of MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821268/en-us mentions that resources used by this process are might not getting free fast enough for the next query.

I’m not sure if this is really related to my issue but I will have to dig into this deeper because it seems very bad. Unfortunately, this Topic is also not any easy one, so it will take a while until I have understanding and a plan.
              But I will have to deal with this since users are complaining again...
              Kind Regards,
              Michael
              Last edited by uLmi; 9th December 2013, 13:17.

Comment

Unfortunately ASP.NET shouldn't have anything to do with the Outlook connections, AFAIK.

I don't have anything to else offer as far as troubleshooting.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

ok. I have a theory - but only because you mentioned there seems to be some sort of resource contention occasionally.

you mention that you shipped the server to the data centre.
                  after you shipped it, did you (or someone else) check all the interconnects?
                  could something have come every so slightly loose in transit?

I know it's a long shot, but physically reseat all the ram, the disk controllers, the sas adaptors etc.
                  Also run a chkdsk

you never know...

Also, you said latency is fine, but is there any packet loss at all?
                  try ping -n 50000 and see if there are big spikes in the avg, or if you're losing to much traffic etc.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X