Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Send connector & external emails

Hi,
    I was tasked to forward all emails which are targeted for specific address to some internal smtp address (i.e. SharePoing incoming emails), I used this Petri article and 95% went smooth as silk. However, one issue arise and I kindly need your advice.

Basically, our domain is something.com, I defined a new sub-domain inside our smtp server (builtin windows SMTP) - sp.something.com, in Exchange I defined an internal send connector that moves all emails with the domain sp.something.com to the SMTP server. It works well internally inside the organization.
    Only one problem left: emails which are being received from external peers (being sent from people from outside our network) are not arriving to our Exchange server because sp.something.com was never defined in our DNS records.

My questions are:
    1. Should I add sp.something.com to our DNS records, will exchange apply the connector logic and forward this email to the SMTP address? since the connector is defined as 'internal', I wonder whether EX should be told to forward external emails too.
    2. Is there another solution besides changing DNS - can't I somehow use only our main domain (something.com) and make one specific email address to be relayed/forwarded to the SMTP address (probably using different method other than Send Connector)?

Thanks a lot,
    Yonatan G

Re: Send connector & external emails

So, the mailflow should be:

internet->Exchange->SharePoint

Correct?

For a new domain to receive mail from external source, you indeed need to have an MX record for sp.something.com. It should have the same setup for something.com, so you can copy the settings for the MX record for something.com if that already works.

In Exchange you do need to set up an Accepted Domain. If it has to send mails to SharePoint, do NOT set the type to Authorative. Set it to Internal Relay. See this link for more information on Accepted Domains.
    Combined with setting and a Send Connector for sp.something.com pointing to the SharePoint server as a smarthost, this should work.

If you have a Spam appliance, cloud services etc. etc.., in front of Exchange you need to adjust their settings as well in order to accept the mail for sp.something.com.
    Last edited by dmstork; 14th October 2013, 16:46. Reason: Added link for Accepted Domains

Comment

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

Your explanation resonate with me, the flow you described is correct, however I wonder whether adding a sub-domain is mandatory (because in our enterprise, getting permissions from the DNS staff can be a burden), can't we somehow use only our primary domain "something.com" and relay/forward some address "[email protected]" to internal smtp address?

Comment

Originally posted by yonatann View Post
        Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

Your explanation resonate with me, the flow you described is correct, however I wonder whether adding a sub-domain is mandatory (because in our enterprise, getting permissions from the DNS staff can be a burden), can't we somehow use only our primary domain "something.com" and relay/forward some address "[email protected]" to internal smtp address?
        You could configure mail-enabled contacts with a forwarding mail adres pointing to sp.something.com. In this case you do not need an Accepted Domain, Email Adress Policy and DNS changes. The Send Connector for sp.something.com with SharePoint as smarthost (I presume the SMTP server is placed on it?) is still necessary, otherwise it will send it to the internet. Cost has to be lower than the default * Send Connector.

Comment

Working...
        X