Single mailbox restore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single mailbox restore

I'm in SBS2008 environment but I suppose this shouldn't make any difference. I'm in need to restore a user mailbox where the user deleted almost all of their emails before leaving the company. Had some success with Restore Deleted Items but only partially since it doesn't restore subfolders of the Inbox folder.

Hence I decided to use RSG to restore and merge the restored mailbox with the existing one. I've got the backup of my First Storage Group and trying to create a RSG of that using the Database Recovery Management wizard. Every time I try to create RSG I get

"Error encountered while trying to create the RSG. Error message is: The location of the system file is not available in the file system. Parameter name: SystemFolderPath.

I run eseutil on my restored mailbox store and that completed successfully however while creating RSG still no joy. What am I missing?

Re: Single mailbox restore

Create the group in powershell.

• Create a Recovery Storage Group;

New-StorageGroup –Server ServerName –Name “Recovery Storage Group” –systemFolderPath “Path” –LogFolderPath “Path” –Recovery
    • Create the Recovery Database;

New-MailboxDatabase –MailboxDatabaseToRecover “Mailbox Database Name” –StorageGroup “Recovery Storage Group” –EDBFilePath “Path\Mailbox Database.edb”
    • Allow restore for recovery storage group;

Set-MailboxDatabase -Identity “Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Database” -AllowFileRestore $true
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I'm getting

New-StorageGroup : The location of the system file is not available in the file
      system.
      Parameter name: SystemFolderPath
      At line:1 char:17
      + New-StorageGroup <<<< -Server server01 -Name "Recovery Storage Group" -sys
      temFolderPath "C:\Recovery\Mailbox\First Storage Group" -LogFolderPath "C:\Reco
      very\Mailbox\First Storage Group" -Recovery
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (SERVER01\Recovery Storage Gro
      up:ADObjectId) [New-StorageGroup], ArgumentException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 71A5299B,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemCon
      figurationTasks.NewStorageGroup

Comment

Sorry, I may have jumped the gun earlier with the powershell part.

When you received the error:
        The location of the system file is not available in the file system. Parameter
        name: SystemFolderPath.

Check the Event viewer and see which message is entered there at the time you tried to create the group. It should tell you there.

Here is another person with a similar issue:
        http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...mails-from-edb
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

It's in Dirty Shutdown indeed. Working on it. Thanks

Comment

It did the trick. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X