exch 2007 to exch 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exch 2007 to exch 2013

Hello everyone, in the process of creating a new server, with Windows Serv 2012 St. Ed, all service packs and MS updates.

Now I want to install Exch 2013 Ent Ed but I've been going over the checklist from 2007 to 2013 and just have a few question on the current certificate that is on my 2007 exch server.

Can I use the same certificate?
    Reading the article I'm kinda confused on the cert part, seems like I don't need the third party certificate.

I've read the release notes, verified system requirements, created a legacy host name (legacy.mydomain.com).

I've already upgraded my AD's, I have two one is a 2008 and the other is 2012.

seems like it's pretty much a straight forward install, just not clear on the cert part.

what I want to have happen is keep existing 2007 exch working, install new exch 2013, have them both work at the same time, migrate a few inboxes over for testing.

this article helps, but again it doesn't say if I can use the same cert on two different exch servers:

http://www.digicert.com/ssl-certific...hange-2013.htm
    Last edited by bigalusn; 24th September 2013, 14:44. Reason: add

Re: exch 2007 to exch 2013

So for a start you will be ensuring that Exchnage 2007 has the latest service pack and patches. Believe as a minimum it must be SP3 with co-existence with Exchange 2013.

I take it from the below that you will be upgrading to Exchange 2013, as in, Exchange 2007 is in one of your AD Forests?

Certificate wise, I tend to use a wildcard SSL certificate but it depends on the Exchange services being used and the Clients.

You will be best to ensure that you install Exchange 2013 CU2 as a minimum.

Certificate wise, I believe Exchange 2013 will proxy all Client requests for Exchange 2007 mailboxes, so the SSL certificate installed withon Exchange 2013 would be relevant.

It redirects OWA connections for Exchange 2007 mailbox users, so the External URL you set for the OWA Virtual Directory of Exchange 2007 would need to be appear on the certificate.

There are other steps as well I can provide if needed. I hve just completed an Exchange 2013 upgrade Design for Exchange 2007 and looked into this in-depth.

So certificate wise, you can use the same for both if you wish. URLs included would generally be;

mail.ExternalDomain.com (URL that Exchange Virtual Directories and Exchange Web services point to)
    legacy.ExternalDomain.com (URL that your Exchange 2007 OWA Virtual Directory is configured with)
    autodiscover.ExternalDomain.com (URL that your AutodiscoverInternalURI will point to)

Note: The above would be set to the same for Internal and External URLs and you would ensure that you have split-DNS configured. The usual /etc/etc will be left as it is on the Virtual Directories, EWS and Autodiscover.
    Last edited by Virtual; 25th September 2013, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      So for a start you will be ensuring that Exchnage 2007 has the latest service pack and patches. Believe as a minimum it must be SP3 with co-existence with Exchange 2013.

I take it from the below that you will be upgrading to Exchange 2013, as in, Exchange 2007 is in one of your AD Forests?

Certificate wise, I tend to use a wildcard SSL certificate but it depends on the Exchange services being used and the Clients.

You will be best to ensure that you install Exchange 2013 CU2 as a minimum.

Certificate wise, I believe Exchange 2013 will proxy all Client requests for Exchange 2007 mailboxes, so the SSL certificate installed withon Exchange 2013 would be relevant.

It redirects OWA connections for Exchange 2007 mailbox users, so the External URL you set for the OWA Virtual Directory of Exchange 2007 would need to be appear on the certificate.

There are other steps as well I can provide if needed. I hve just completed an Exchange 2013 upgrade Design for Exchange 2007 and looked into this in-depth.

So certificate wise, you can use the same for both if you wish. URLs included would generally be;

mail.ExternalDomain.com (URL that Exchange Virtual Directories and Exchange Web services point to)
      legacy.ExternalDomain.com (URL that your Exchange 2007 OWA Virtual Directory is configured with)
      autodiscover.ExternalDomain.com (URL that your AutodiscoverInternalURI will point to)

Note: The above would be set to the same for Internal and External URLs and you would ensure that you have split-DNS configured. The usual /etc/etc will be left as it is on the Virtual Directories, EWS and Autodiscover.
      thanks Virtual, let me try to clear it up a bit.

As stated I have one Exch 2007 server with all the latest updates and SP so I'm good there.

I recently upgraded my old AD with a brand new AD and server all new. So now I have two AD's, AD1 Win Serv 2008 and the new AD win Serv 2012, again all patched up and ad/prepped, all good to go. Old Ad was Win 2003, demoted, off network, gone sitting in my office for future use.

so ad wise my network is good and ready.

installed on a brand new server windows 2012 now wanting to install exch 2013 on it. But I want to make sure about the cert before I proceed.

Everything that I have read and researched seems like a go at this point. so once I get exch 2013 installed and patched up I will know about the cert and other issues as well. thanks once again.

Comment

No problem and keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
          No problem and keep us posted.
          update # 1. Ok I installed Exch 2013 Ent Ed, on a Win 12 Serv St. Ed, and after passing my Readiness Checks with no issues, the install finished.

so now in the EAC I can view both servers. The new server doesn't have receive/send connectors (besides defaults).

Should I create the exact same ones as the old one in the new one? I'm guessing yes, but just wanted to make sure.

Also, I do need a new cert (third party), I also need to add legacy.mydomain.com to the new cert.

once this is done I should be able to send/receive emails using the new server while the old one continues to do it's job.

Comment

installed new cert, but I can't log on with a test user. doesn't accept password in Outlook.

Comment

Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
              update # 1. Ok I installed Exch 2013 Ent Ed, on a Win 12 Serv St. Ed, and after passing my Readiness Checks with no issues, the install finished.

so now in the EAC I can view both servers. The new server doesn't have receive/send connectors (besides defaults).

Should I create the exact same ones as the old one in the new one? I'm guessing yes, but just wanted to make sure.

Also, I do need a new cert (third party), I also need to add legacy.mydomain.com to the new cert.

once this is done I should be able to send/receive emails using the new server while the old one continues to do it's job.
              It depends on what redundancy you are looking for with regards to the connectors. Keep in mind that some are server only as in Receive connectors and some Organisational, so it's a case of adding multiple servers to it for redudancy. It's the Internet receive connector that you may wish to have on both servers.

It's worth reviewing the changes to Transport services as there are big changes between 2007 and 2013. One to review is the proxying of Mail via the Client Access role.

I tend to use a Wildcard certificate. It's a case of following the recommendations with regards to the SSL certificate. Also, you need to review co-existence with Exchange 2007 and 2013 as depending on your requirements and Clients, you may need to make some adjustments.

Comment

ok folks it's been a few weeks with the new Exch 2013 server and so far so good. Had a little trouble with spam, so had to make a call to MS, got that resolved at 2am LOL.

Last week I got the Public Folders migrated over then stopped all MS Exch Services on the old server. This morning I powered down the old exchange server.

A few concerns, what do I do with the old certificate? Should I uninstall it?

Shared inboxes are having trouble but that's a different post, still waiting on hits on that.

When connected I get updating address book, but the book is updated, actually a lot of folks get this message.

the old cert keeps popping up for users at first log in.

Comment

Working...
                X