Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 EMC Connection failure

Hi all,

For several days now we have been trying to get solution to one of our exchange EMC connection failure and would be grateful if anyone could help.

When the EMC is clicked it show the message "attempting to connect to the specified exchange server: myexchange.domain.com."

The next message is : "searching for on-premises exchange server."

After few minutes it throws the error: (the following error occured when searching for on-premises exchange server. exception calling "GetComputerSite" with "0" argument(s): "the computer is not in a site." It was running the command 'Discover-ExchangeServer -UseWIA $true -UppressError $true').

Please any help to resolve this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Exchange 2010 EMC Connection failure

Is the EMC installed on the Exchange server or somewhere else?

Is the remote powershell service enabled / firewall exceptions configured?

(IIRC Exchange uses remote powershell even on the local server)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Is the EMC installed on the Exchange server or somewhere else?

Is the remote powershell service enabled / firewall exceptions configured?

(IIRC Exchange uses remote powershell even on the local server)

Hi Ossian the EMC is installed on the local server and the remote powershell service is running. What I have seen so far is tha about six MS exchange services are not running but rather starting and they never get started. For many days the status of these services is "starting".

Comment

Did you manage to resolve this with a reboot?

if 6 services are not starting I imagine exchange itself isn't working. never mind EMC!

What about the Management Shell?
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

I did reboot the server several times but the same service hang on "starting" and they never get started. I also used the powershell command to forced restart but the services are in the same mode of "starting".

Just wonder what could be the source problem.

This server is part of DAG and I don't know if I try to break the DAG and let the member servers go their separate ways, we can still have mails flow. exchange can be very temperamental. Any ideas to do something about my problem?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
            Did you manage to resolve this with a reboot?

if 6 services are not starting I imagine exchange itself isn't working. never mind EMC!

What about the Management Shell?
            I did reboot the server several times but the same service hang on "starting" and they never get started. I also used the powershell command to forced restart but the services are in the same mode of "starting".

Just wonder what could be the source problem.

This server is part of DAG and I don't know if I try to break the DAG and let the member servers go their separate ways, we can still have mails flow. exchange can be very temperamental. Any ideas to do something about my problem?

Thanks

Comment

I would be inclined to do a reinstall -- just apply the latest service pack as your settings will be preserved. This will remove and reinstall everything.

Make sure both servers are at the same SP/patch level so you may want to do the problem one then the other DAG member
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is one server working in the DAG and one not or are they both the same?

What is in the error logs?

Comment

Is one server working in the DAG and one not or are they both the same?

What is in the error logs?
                  Yes one server works alright in the DAG. They are both virtual servers and their built ups are the same.

The error: "searching for on-premises exchange server."

(the following error occured when searching for on-premises exchange server. exception calling "GetComputerSite" with "0" argument(s): "the computer is not in a site." It was running the command 'Discover-ExchangeServer -UseWIA $true -SuppressError $true').

Now the DAG network is off line and all attempts to bring it online failed.

Thanks.
                  Last edited by wissywise; 24th September 2013, 15:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    I would be inclined to do a reinstall -- just apply the latest service pack as your settings will be preserved. This will remove and reinstall everything.

Make sure both servers are at the same SP/patch level so you may want to do the problem one then the other DAG member
                    Ok I will try the patches update and get back to you with the result.

Thanks

Comment

"the computer is not in a site."

Have you double checked to ensure your AD sites are correctly configured and the IP Address on the Exchange Server is correct and correlates to the correct AD Site?

Comment

"the computer is not in a site."

Have you double checked to ensure your AD sites are correctly configured and the IP Address on the Exchange Server is correct and correlates to the correct AD Site?
                        That probably might be the problem. When I checked the exchange server giving the error is part of the AD site. The working exchange server is in site because the server is GC configured. The error server is LDAP configured but not GC. We might have done something wrong. Do we have to configure both exchange server to be GC?

Any help is much appreciated.

Comment

So are your exchange servers also Domain Controllers?

Exchange heavily relies on GC's but they themselves do not need to hold the role. Ensure that the server that is not working is in the correct site, and DNS etc is all configured correctly.

Topper

Comment

If Exchange is installed on a domain controller then it must also be a global catalog. That is the only way that it is supported to have Exchange on a DC.
                            Therefore if you have gone against best practises and have Exchange on a DC, make it a GC.

Simon.
                            --
                            Simon Butler
                            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                              If Exchange is installed on a domain controller then it must also be a global catalog. That is the only way that it is supported to have Exchange on a DC.
                              Therefore if you have gone against best practises and have Exchange on a DC, make it a GC.

Simon.
                              Having read your blogs I understood the sp1 for exchange 2010 ended in January 2013 with the sp2 to end next year. My fear is that the only one server is working and if updated and something goes wrong then we are in serious trouble. Please give me any ideas that can prevent such a disaster in case of update. Also do you suggest we remove the second faulty server from the DAG and rebuilt a new one? If so how safe can we remove the MailboxDatabaseCopy from the faulty server using powershell since the EMC cannot be launched. If we can safely break the DAG and our people can still receive/send mail that would be great.

Further observation revealed that the working exchange server has the following roles intalled: AD DS, AD LDS, File Services and IIS but on the failing server the following roles were found: AD LDS, File services and IIS. Could be not be the fact that both servers in the DAG have not the configurations? Any ideas to resolve whatever this might have caused is much appreciated.

Thanks.
                              Last edited by wissywise; 24th September 2013, 16:44. Reason: to add more text

Comment

Working...
                              X