Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exch 2007 Outlook Anywhere fails to connect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exch 2007 Outlook Anywhere fails to connect

    We have an Exch 2007 client where we have installed the UCC (we have done this for many clients, OA works) and we cannot get outlook to connect via autodiscover or manually configured. We believe the problem is that their www record is at their vendor and testexchangeconnectivity FINDS an autodiscover xml at that site. That then fails on a Cert name mis-match.
    On the second pass, testexchcon DOES find our valid 2007 cert and all passes.
    We do not think OL gets past the first cert name mismatch to our good cert.
    We even tried removing the DNS A record autodiscover.client.com and adding the srv record, but thats checked last and we think autodiscover stops on first step. Any way to bypass the first check on domain.com or other ideas?
    Thanks!

  • #2
    Re: Exch 2007 Outlook Anywhere fails to connect

    You need to speak to the web host.
    This is becoming a common problem because the most popular hosting control panel automatically puts an Autodiscover record in place for their own service, which of course is found by the client.

    I think you will find it is httpS://example.com/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml

    Ultimately the web host has to resolve this problem.

    Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

    Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

    Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Exch 2007 Outlook Anywhere fails to connect

      Thanks for the reply. We thought that we would need to contact the web host. Not sure what to tell them other than the symptoms. When we test <need 5 posts for url>"https://client.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml" we get

      We get IIS 7.5 404.0 error, Resource not found. Physical path d:\users\XXXXXX\autodiscover\autodiscover.xml.

      But ExRCA does find the vendor's Cert and that confuses us? Also, why does Outlook
      not try the second pass and finally the srv?
      Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Exch 2007 Outlook Anywhere fails to connect

        For whatever reason the testing tools always start with the root of the domain. I have never seen an implementation use the root of the domain for Autodiscover and it would be better if it went away.

        There must be something getting in the way because Autodiscover should move on to the next step (autodiscover.example.com) if nothing responds.

        Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

        Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

        Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Exch 2007 Outlook Anywhere fails to connect

          We are in contact with the vendor that hosts our clients website to see if they can remove the client.autodiscover.xml file or otherwise work around it and will post back the results.
          Thanks!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Exch 2007 Outlook Anywhere fails to connect

            Solved:
            We hired Third Tier and together we solved Outlook Anywhere by removing the Network Solutions DNS entry @ (name) that pointed to my client's vendors web server. Not really sure how this fixed OA, but we will take it, autodiscover now works. The change had to get Outlook to not see the vendor cert somehow.
            Internally, after adding the Exch UCC cert, outlook users were getting messages about the self signed cert. This was solved by these PS commands:
            Essentially we set the internal CAS and EWS to the EXTERNAL urls that properly see the new cert.

            Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity CAS1-AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri <https://webmail.mycompany.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml>

            Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity “CAS1\EWS (Default Web Site)” -InternalUrl <https://webmail.mycompany.com/ews/exchange.asmx>

            Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity “CAS1\EWS (Default Web Site)” -InternalNLBBypassUrl <https://webmail.mycompany.com/ews/exchange.asmx>

            Set-OABVirtualDirectory -Identity “CAS1\oab (Default Web Site)” -InternalUrl <https://webmail.mycompany.com/oab>

            Set-UMVirtualDirectory -Identity “CAS1\unifiedmessaging (Default Web Site)” -InternalUrl <https://webmail.mycompany.com/unifiedmessaging/service>

            Comment

            Working...
            X