Need exchange to resolve externally for one domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need exchange to resolve externally for one domain

I had a server die the other day (Customer was warned but ignored it). Instead of buying a new server they asked me to setup their email on the sbs server next door.

I pointed out what a bad idea that was but they were having none of it.
    The server next door hosts the domain for a sister company but they don't use exchange for their e-mails.

The result just now is that whenever company A (Blackhawk) sends an email to company B (marin) it gets stuck in the server.

As the server hosts the domain for marin the emails get as far as the server, tries to find the mailbox, can't then sends an NDR.

What i need to happen is that email goes to the server, gets told it doesn't really host the mail for marin then points it to the external mail hosting which marin connects to through POP to retrieve their e-mail.

Any ideas?

Re: Need exchange to resolve externally for one domain

What version of Exchange?

And are they using the same domain name or different?

Does email delivery work one way but not the other?
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Hi Topper, exchange 2007.

All machines are on the same domain physically. (Marinsubsea.local). The email domains are blackhawkoffshore.com which is hosted on the sbs server and marinsubsea.co.uk which is hosted offsite. E-mails from marin to blackhawk work fine but emails from blackhawk to marin get caught at the server or generate an NDR.

For instance, marin have the username "projects" on the domain, so when this was set up a mailbox for "projects" was generated when the user was created. The actual e-mail address in question is [email protected] which exists externally at the host they use but not internally on the server. So, if you send an email from blackhawk to [email protected] it gets caught by the server and delivered to the projects users mailbox (which isnt used), if you send an e-mail from blackhawk to [email protected] it gets as far as the server and receives an NDR as there is not a [email protected] account on the internal server.

I want to tell the server that any e-mails for @marin should be referred to the external online host.

I have tried adding entries to DNS on the server for *.marinsubsea.co.uk and have them point to the external hosting, I tried marinsubsea.co.uk as forward lookup and in there i have added an A record for mail.marinsubsea.co.uk and pointed MX records at that. I have tried creating a new send connector for *.marinsubsea.co.uk and set it to use external DNS (Not 100% sure i did it correctly though). All to no avail.
      Last edited by mcsnoogins; 5th September 2013, 15:40. Reason: Greater detail

Comment

If they are different email domains then it should not have a problem, although it sounds like the Marin email domain has been setup as an accepted domain within Exchange.

Run this in the Management shell and post the output.

Code:
        get-accepteddomain | fl

Comment

This question doesn't make sense. The customer asked you to set up their email on the SBS server but now you don't want it to be handled by the SBS server. Can you clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            This question doesn't make sense. The customer asked you to set up their email on the SBS server but now you don't want it to be handled by the SBS server. Can you clarify?
            He wants BlackHawk to be managed by the SBS server, not Marin (which is hosted offsite).

Comment

Then remove Marin from the server.

Accepted Domains

Recipient Policies

Email addresses on users, contacts and groups

Comment

Originally posted by topper View Post
                He wants BlackHawk to be managed by the SBS server, not Marin (which is hosted offsite).
                ^^^^^Yup

The server was originally set up to host the local domain for marin. They had never used the exchange facilities in it and have their email hosted off site. Everything on the server to do with exchange had been setup with the normal defaults.

Topper i will post results of that command as soon as their internet is back on and i can get into to it again

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  Then remove Marin from the server.

Accepted Domains

Recipient Policies

Email addresses on users, contacts and groups
                  Will give that a try ASAP and report back, thanks

Comment

Blackhawk and marin are both in the accepted domains, when I try to remove marin i get:

--------------------------------------------------------
                    Microsoft Exchange Error
                    Action 'Remove' could not be performed on object 'Windows SBS External Domain'.

Windows SBS External Domain
                    Failed
                    Error:
                    Cannot remove the domain 'marinsubsea.co.uk' because it is referenced by the proxy address template 'SMTP:%[email protected]'.

OK

Comment

Removed the domain from the e-mail address policy and it let me remove it as an accepted domain Will find out tomorrow if it's getting through ok.

Comment

I would be surprised if it's not working now after that!

Topper

Comment

All working fine Cheers for the help folks

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                            X