Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Folders will not replicate between 2 2010 Servers

Hi guys

Been pulling me hair out for days over this and not getting anywhere. Let me paint the picture, I'll include as many details as poss. If I miss anything please feel free to ask.

2 Sites, HQ and DR. Obviously DR is purely passive until such time as it's required. The sites are connected via IPSEC VPN.

Both servers are identical. Windows Server 2012 (VM) with Exchange 2010 SP2. Complete newbuilds, no migrations or anything.

DAG is already set up and operating. DR site also hosts a BDC.

So:

On the DR Server, I created a set of Public Folders. Once that was done I forced AD Replication and made sure both servers could see all databases.

I then ran the Add Replica script which ran successfully.

Forced AD Replication again.

On HQ Server all replicas show. On DR Server it see's nothing.

I had a look at the event log, filtered for all events 3000-3999 and I can see logs saying replication agents etc have been started but thats it.

Rebooted both servers.

At this point I downloaded ExFolders and had a look at the HQ Server PF Database...on the Replica's tab it didnt show the DR Server. So I added this in manually (thinking I found the solution).

However still nothing.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do.

EDIT:

Just seen a error message pop up at last.

Active Manager failed to mount database Public Folders on server HQServer.domain.com. Error: An Active Manager operation failed. Error The database action failed. Error: An error occurred while trying to select a database copy for possible activation. Error: The database 'Public Folders' was not mounted because errors occured either while validating database copies for possible activation, or while attempting to activate another copy. Detailed error(s):

Server HQServer.domain.com is not up according to the Windows Failover Cluster service.

Re: Public Folders will not replicate between 2 2010 Servers

I think that last error was from when I rebooted one of the servers. I cleared all cluster events and will keep eye to it...Everything is showing as UP and DAG copies are healthy etc.

Comment

I'm sure Simon will swoop in with the correct answer but afaik DAGs are only for Mailbox Databases. Public Folder Databases use the replication you're trying to setup. So on the DR server, have you created a Public Folder Database? Also, how long have you waited for the replication?

I don't know if I remember correctly but you should be able to run get-publicfolderstatistics -server servername to get the replica information.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes DAGs are only for Mailbox Databases, I only mentioned it to illustrate that network communication seems to be fine etc.

Windows Failover Cluster is good now too, everything is lit up green, no errors.

I have created a PF Database on the DR Server.

Any command I run on the HQ server displays the right information - shows both servers listed as Replicas etc.

However on the DR server, it displays nothing, just an empty PF Database.

I have waited in total about a week now, although midweek I did tear it all down and start again just to be sure I didnt miss anything.

Comment

If you run get-publicfolderstatistics on the second server, what does it show?
          Public Folder replication goes over SMTP, so it could be a sign of email delivery issues with the replication traffic. I have seen AV software block it in the past.

Message tracking on the source server should also show the traffic being generated.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi Simon

I have just torn it all down and started again for the third time.

Get-publicfolderstatistics on the destination server shows nothing, on the source server it shows the correct PF's and items.

There arent actually that many folders, about 6 folders for a total of about 140MB.

I'm not too sure how to use the Message Tracking for this - I sign in as domain admin, what do I put in for the Mailbox to search?

EDIT: In fact if I click on Browse, I get an error:

Sorry! We're having trouble processing your request at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes.

Comment

I have a lead, thanks Simon.

I checked the Queues on the Source Server and sure enough there are 78 messages stuck, failing with this error:

451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address responded with: "421 4.3.2 Service not available." Attempted failover to alternate host did not succeed. Either there are no alternate hosts, or delivery failed to all alternate hosts.

I'm going to google this now, but if you have any suggestions, please feel free!!

Comment

Jesus Christ I solved it.

Turned out I needed a new Receive Connector both ends to allow interserver communication with Exchange Authentication ticked.

Simon, thank you, without your tip of looking at SMTP I never would have got to this logical thought process!

Comment

Working...
                X