Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users' properties , the schema.

Hello,

I have installed some Exchange Servers, and, as far as I know, they extend the AD schema.

I was expecting to go to "Users and Computers" in one of my DCs and see the new tabs regarding Exchange, but I just see the typical tabs when I clikc on any user.

Could I use AdsiEdit to check the health of my Active Directory?

I am trying now the tool "MPSR" , but I am not sure whether is the proper tool to troubleshoot this kinds of issues.

It's quite strange because I remember installing the Exchange Servers (CCR, Continuous Cluster Replication) and seeing sort of "preparing Active Directory", like when you write: " setup /prepareSchema"

I really don't know what to do. I installed three Exchange Servers, one for the Transport Hub and Client Access roles, and the other two for the active and passive clustered mailbox servers.

Failover Clustering console looks fine, so, I have thought it is not a Failover issue. I am stuck.

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: Users' properties , the schema.

If it is Exchange 2007 or above, user management is via the Exchange Management Console and there are no additional tabs in ADUC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot Ossian!!

I forgot to mention: I did that too. And from that console I can choose the users to whom I want to give a mail address, but, to my surprise, a warning like this appears:

"The Exchange Organization has no servers with the Mailbox role installed" , and I have two of them, and they communicate with each other with ping, and I have restarted the three of them (the Hub Transport and Client Access Server , and the two with the mailbox role).

I asked that way because I thought it was an AD issue, but I am not quite sure at all.

I am looking into the Event Logs in the Hub Transport/Client Access Server.

I also ran the "Exchange Best Practises software" built-in in Exchange, but I can't conclude anything, so far.

Maybe the Event Viewer and a bit of patience can provide me more information.

Some ideas? . HOW COULD I KNOW THAT THE ACTIVE DIRECTORY SCHEMA HAS EXTENDED? Maybe with AdsiEdit?. I am sort of new in that tool: AdsiEdit.

Thanks a lot again!
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

OK, don't panic...
        First tell us which Exchange version you have installed and I will move the thread to the appropriate forum

Second, assuming it is 2007 or above, go into the Exchange Management console and check the roles you have installed (You mention HT/CAS so presumably it is)

Third, check all the Exchange services have started

Is this a new exchange install or an upgrade from an earlier version?
        Have any users got mailboxes, or is this happening with all users?
        Is it a single domain environment or a multi domain forest
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry for posting here, I thought it was an AD issue.

The servers are all Exchange 2007 SP3.

There are three servers:
          1- one server containing both Transport Hub and Client Access roles.
          2- Two more, with the active and passive clustered mailbox (CCR Cluster)

The File share is in the Transport Hub Server.

I have just checked the services, and it was shocking to see in one of the Mailbox servers, that the service "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" was set as "manual" rather than "Automatic". Furthermore, it was stopped, but I have been unable to start it, a mistake appears about timeout.

Thanks again!
          -
          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Don't worry about the forum -- it could well have been AD, and we move threads all the time.

So now the IS service is started, are things running OK?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks,

No, I shut down one of the mailbox servers (to troubleshoot, yesterday night) . Then, checking as suggested the services, I saw the "System Attendance" and the "Information Store" stopped.

I am not an expert but as far as I know "System Attendance" must be started, so "Information Store" if the server has the role of a mailbox.

Both were set to "manual" which is because they switch from one node to the other if I am not mistaken, but strangely enough to me, both were stopped, and I can't make sense of that because I shut down the other node in the proper way, so that the other one took over normally.

On second thoughts, when the two mailboxes were on, the message was the same: "The Exchange Organization don't have mailboxes servers" or something like that.

I CAN START THE SERVICE "SYSTEM ATTENDANCE" BUT NOT THE "INFORMATION STORE", it says something about timeout as I remarked before.

Thanks a lot.
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
              X