No announcement yet.

2 Exchange 2010 Mailbox servers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Exchange 2010 Mailbox servers

I have two Exchange servers: siteA (CAS, Hub, Mailbox) and siteB (only Mailbox) with about 300 users. Both connected through a VPN.

I'm wondering why users from siteB have still their Outlook connected to the main Exchange server (siteA), even after moving the mailboxes to the correct Exchange DB (siteB).

I would expected to have users from siteB connected to siteB exchange mailbox's server.

Am I missing something in my configuration?

Main problem is when recreating the .ost file... takes ages over the Internet...

Tks for your help.

Re: 2 Exchange 2010 Mailbox servers

All user connections go via the CAS server so you would need to set one up at the other site too

(This includes Outlook MAPI which, previously, went direct to the MBX role:
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

As already posted above, with Exchange 2010, the clients connect to the CAS role, not the mailbox role.
      When you move the mailbox, if the CAS role server is still valid, the clients continue to use it.

There was a change in a later update to Exchange 2010 which meant that if you moved mailboxes across AD site, then it would update the CAS role holder.

Therefore I have to presume that either

a. You don't have the two servers in different AD sites, or there is a problem with your AD sites and services configuration.

b. The server and/or the clients are not fully up to date.

What I would suggest that you do here is configure an RPC CAS Array for both locations, check the AD Sites and Services configuration.
      Then depending on the bandwidth, either move the mailboxes back to the main server, wait for replication of the change then move them back in to the correct server.
      Or visit each workstation and repair the Outlook profile (literally go in to accounts and choose Repair profile). That will force the client to update to the correct CAS role holder or CAS Array.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Tks Simon for the advises... I will definitively create 2 CAS Arrays for both Exchange server.

Will post the result ASAP.