Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phanton Server? Mail Flow Settings

Hi,

I am in the beginnings of installing Exchange 2010 on our domain. I am at the screen that prompts you for your "Mail Flow Settings" and I am unable to go further.

If I click Browse, it lists a non-existent computer (tntest). If I click Next, a prompt displays stating "Some controls aren't valid. - You must specify the legacy routing server when you install the first Hub Transport server...that contains legacy Exchange servers."

We do not have Exchange of any kind installed. (We are using gmail pop with Outlook.)

I have only been with this company for a year, and been cleaning up the garbage from my predecessor. I know it could be possible that this 'phantom' computer could have been a test 2003 Exchange server at some point. (name is tntest) If that is the case and it was not removed properly, what options do I have?

Thank you for all the help,
    TTN

Re: Phanton Server? Mail Flow Settings

Stop the install of Exchange 2010 and audit AD for the existence of a phantom Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007 server. If you find any, clean those up first, then restart the Exchange 2010 install.

Comment

First quick check: is there a computer account in AD for the "phantom" exchange server. If so, you can do a DR recovery and cleanly remove it. If not, an AD cleanup gets messy!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        First quick check: is there a computer account in AD for the "phantom" exchange server. If so, you can do a DR recovery and cleanly remove it. If not, an AD cleanup gets messy!
        Good morning All.

There is no AD account for the computer. As suggested, I will look for any remnants in AD. My guess that it is left behind metadata.

Thank you both for your help!

Comment

I found the phantom server in ASDI under CN=Microsoft Exchange. Am I able to just delete the CN entry under the CN= Microsoft Exchange group?

Comment

NO!
            (except as a last resort!!!)
            Better if you can to do a proper removal of Exchange from the domain by doing a disaster recovery of the server, then uninstalling Exchange.
            This depends on the computer account I mentioned above, so please check that, then review some recent threads in this and the Exchange 2003 forum for doing a proper cleanup
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

NO!
              (except as a last resort!!!)
              Better if you can to do a proper removal of Exchange from the domain by doing a disaster recovery of the server, then uninstalling Exchange.
              This depends on the computer account I mentioned above, so please check that, then review some recent threads in this and the Exchange 2003 forum for doing a proper cleanup
              Ossian,

Thank you for your help. To make sure I understand correctly. There is no account in AD Users and Computers. I have only located it in ADSI. So, this means that yes, it is in AD, correct?

So, I will need to build a server with exchange 2003, with the same name (tntest). Then remove it properly? I will read over the ms article.

Thanks,

BTW, I am hitting dead ends with downloading a trial version of Exchange 2003. Anyone have any ideas?
              Last edited by TridentTN; 19th June 2013, 13:41. Reason: software

Comment

Unfortunately if there is no account in AD Users & Computers, you are stuck and it will be an ADSIEdit operation to remove Exchange from the AD forest

I'm trying to find some links, and hoping Sembee will be along with an authoritative answer. This is the best I can find just now:
                http://www.msexchange.org/articles-t...anization.html
                http://support.microsoft.com/default...oduct=exch2003

I suggest you proceed cautiously as you can cause major damage to AD if you aren't careful -- research and planning before action!
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Unfortunately if there is no account in AD Users & Computers, you are stuck and it will be an ADSIEdit operation to remove Exchange from the AD forest

I'm trying to find some links, and hoping Sembee will be along with an authoritative answer. This is the best I can find just now:

I suggest you proceed cautiously as you can cause major damage to AD if you aren't careful -- research and planning before action!
                  Ossian,

Thanks again. Trust me, I have been checking and rechecking before my next step since I have started all these upgrades. I just recently upgraded the GPO's (they where using software called Desktop Authority), very intrusive, but if you don't know how to manage GPO's, I guess it helps, though I do NOT recommend it! And I upgraded the domain from 2000 to 2008r2 with two new DC's as well.

It has been an up hill battle since I started with this company a year ago. My predecessor had not maintained any maintenance at all.

I appreciate your time and help!
                  Last edited by TridentTN; 19th June 2013, 14:58. Reason: blah

Comment

Here was a similar thread posted on the microsoft technet forums a few years back http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tive-directory. It was answered by Sembee, he also replied that for Exchange 2007 "removing the server from Adsiedit.msc isn't supported by Microsoft, unless they do it for you as part of a support call".

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

The quickest method here is probably to install the Exchange 2003 management tools somewhere and then remove the server that way.
                      If it is Exchange 2003 (look for references in adsiedit to version 6.5) then you could follow the manual removal instructions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396

You will probably have to reprep the domain afterwards.

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

If I remember correctly, using the ESM to remove a phantom Exchange 2003 server will remove the associated AD metadata and objects.

Comment

Well, I reviewed my options. All of the recommended ones require a Exchange 2003 CD, which I am unable to find.

I am going to manual remove the CN instance and all sub items in ADSI. Then I will hopefully clean up any remaining metadata with ntdsutil.

Wish me luck!

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

You can download Exchange System Manager for Vista:
                            http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=17836

This may allow you to try Sembees recommendation, which is greatly preferable to ADSIEdit!

By the way, have you confirmed it is exchange 2003 on the system already -- if it is 2007 you can download a service pack which does a full reinstall so has all the files you need
                            Last edited by Ossian; 21st June 2013, 16:32.
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

You can download Exchange System Manager for Vista:
                              http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=17836

This may allow you to try Sembees recommendation, which is greatly preferable to ADSIEdit!

By the way, have you confirmed it is exchange 2003 on the system already -- if it is 2007 you can download a service pack which does a full reinstall so has all the files you need
                              Hi,
                              I have reviewed the article. I have tried to install this on an XP machine with no luck. I keep getting a MMC snap in error on the Exchange side. (I had to use the silent bypass the OS verification option.)

It is Exchange 2003. It was installed 3/21/2005 @ 1:08:49 pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X