Restore Exchange 2007 from 18-month old VM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore Exchange 2007 from 18-month old VM

The title pretty much says it all. I have had a disaster on my NAS that has wiped out nearly everything from my domain. All I have is the domain running and a copy of the VM that was running Exchange 2007 18-months ago.

I have Backup Exec backups from last night for the same Exchange VM that was running up until the NAS meltdown and subsequent FUBAR of my life.

I have restored the Exchange machine and it will start, but fails to become part of the domain because its SID/Domain Trust is out of date.

I'm wondering a couple of things:

1). Can I use the 18 month old VM at all at this point? Could I remove it from the domain and rejoin and then restore with the Backup Exec software?

2). Can I use the Backup Exec Backup to populate a new Exchange Datastore?

3). If 1 or 2 above isn't possible, WTF options do I have left to me?

HELP!
    --

ScatterBrain

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    -- The Mythbusters

Re: Restore Exchange 2007 from 18-month old VM

What does this mean exactly "I have restored the Exchange machine and it will start, but fails to become part of the domain because its SID/Domain Trust is out of date." - Does this mean you restored it from last nights backup? If so, then unjoin and rejoin the Exchange Server to the domain.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      What does this mean exactly "I have restored the Exchange machine and it will start, but fails to become part of the domain because its SID/Domain Trust is out of date." - Does this mean you restored it from last nights backup? If so, then unjoin and rejoin the Exchange Server to the domain.
      I have restored the Exchange Virtual Machine as it sat 18 months ago in a powered down state.

By "come up" I mean the server will boot and bring me to the desktop. But it won't participate in ANY domain-related functions - no browsing, no authentication, etc.

I'm wondering if there is any advantage for having the 18-month old virtual machine because it's no longer being part of the domain.
      --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

Why don't you restore the BackupExec back up of the server from last night?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Why don't you restore the BackupExec back up of the server from last night?
          Because the Exchange Server as it sat last night is gone. I currently do NOT have an exchange machine in my domain nor do I have Backup Exec installed anywhere to utilize the backup data.

I'm wondering if it's possible to utilize the 18 month old VM as a starting point or if I should just give up and start over and hope that the Backup Exec data (which is JUST the exchange data) will work.
          --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

The problem with the 18 month old VM is (as you have seen) trust relationships. Normally you would disjoin and rejoin the domain but with Exchange that is likely to be a problem.

IMHO (but others may have better solutions) use the "recoverserver" option in Exchange setup on a new build server, relying on the existing computer account in AD, then restore data from backup. Lots of linkies: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ex...FufA7AatsIGYCA

Suggest you don't do anything hasty and do your research first -- appreciate everyone will be screaming at you to get email, but is it worth the potential risk of losing everything?

Also suggest you review your backup/DR procedures for the future.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

One thing that comes to mind:

(Bear with me while I spew this chain of consciousness which may be completely horrible, but I want to get it out anyway.)

I have restored two additional servers from 18-month old VMs because of this crash. One is a simple file server, the other is a Live Communication Server 2005 server. In both cases, the Active Directory token that allowed these machine to participate in the domain had expired. I basically shut down the network interface on the ESXi host for each of these machines, opened the console for each machine and removed them from the domain using local user credentials. I then re-activated the network interfaces and re-joined them to domain and BOOM, both came back - although the LCS machine showed 18-month old information to the client.

I'm wondering if this process would be possible on the Exchange machine. Remove it from the domain while it's offline, then re-add it. And then restore from the backups.

I'm concerned about a few things:
              1). The Exchange landscape and the Active Directory at my company has changed in 18 months - but only where users accounts are concerned - we now have fewer people working for us and we've added a new one just in the last 6 months.

2). What effect removal from the domain (online or not) would have on Exchange. Would Exchange even function after the removal-reinstatement? Would the reinstatement break the Exchange information currently in the Active Directory?

The reason ANY of this comes to my mind is the fact that the LCS server came back. It relies on the Active Directory just like Exchange does, probably not as much, but still the link IS there. Once re-added to the domain it became fully functional - out of date - but functional.

Does ANYONE think there is a snowballs chance of this hair-brained scheme working?

My goal is to NOT make matters worse. So if there is a chance that I'll not be able to recover from this, I'd just assume the plan to be not viable and simply begin building a new server.
              --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

Looks as if (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...6-a775fedf1eba) disjoining and rejoining the domain may work (stop exchange services first)

Note there is some discussion about other things to do, and do it all at your own risk!
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  Looks as if (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...6-a775fedf1eba) disjoining and rejoining the domain may work (stop exchange services first)

Note there is some discussion about other things to do, and do it all at your own risk!
                  OSSIAN, YOU ARE THE MAN (OR WOMAN)!!!!!

That link is just EXACTLY what I needed. As I write this, the 18-month old VM is UP, part of the domain and Exchange is running (albeit with 18 month old data). I'm copying the Backup Exec data to the server now to proceed to the next step - actual data recovery.

I don't know where you found it, but I'm glad you did.

Thanks a million!
                  --

ScatterBrain

-- The Mythbusters

Comment

All male (my signature should give that away somewhere among the acronyms )

Honestly, it was a quick for "rejoin exchange server to domain", and review a couple of links -- the first one here:
                    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=re...KePb7Ab0vIGQDA

(obviously knowing that the phrase "trust relationship failure" was the relevant one.

Very glad you are getting it fixed -- now please review your DR strategy to be sure the next one will be less stressful!
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X