No announcement yet.

Exchange 2007 SMTP relay - newbie

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 SMTP relay - newbie

My scenario is we have an isolated network that has it's own Exchange 2007 running on Server 2003. I have set up an SMTP relay on a machine that has Internet connectivity (also server 2003). I want to forward emails out to the Internet if they are not for the local internal domain. Note i'm only concerned about sending emails out to the Inernet, not receiving from the Internet.

I have set up an MX record for the "Internet facing" SMTP relay and gave it a
    lower priority. So I assume if the Exchange server can't send the message it goes to the next MX server. I know DNS is critical and I am not sure if the Exchange server needs to resolve the external email as well as the SMTP relay server (neeeding to resolve) or only the SMTP relay server needs to resolve the external address.

- How do I set this up in Exchange? I assume the Exchange server relays to my SMTP relay server.
    - I already have an SMTP receive connector, do I need to add another one?
    - Property page per property page what do I configure on Exchange and the Server 2003 SMTP?

I have not set up domains in the SMTP relay as from what I see that's for receiving email and relaying out ? Not actually understanding these dialogs, what they mean. From what I read if I put a domain in there I will relay that through, which I don't want. What gets me is terminology, "Remote Domain".

HELP! HELP! HELP! Frustrated. And I've BEEN googling like crazy. MS help is NO HELP.
    Last edited by araczek; 22nd May 2013, 20:49.

Re: Exchange 2007 SMTP relay - newbie

Just to clarify, MX records play role in email receiving and not sending. The same thing is the receive connector.
    So, you have to:
    1. Configure a send connector on Exchange site;
    2. Configure your Windows 2003 SMTP mail gateway (smart host) to accept emails from your Exchange server;
    Your mail gateway (smart host) routes emails based on DNS or it forwards them to other smart host (Exp to ISP).

Please see the screen capture for send connector.
    Attached Files
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate