Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local moving request 1 mailbox painfully slow

Hi all

I installed exchange 2010 sp1 in an Hyper-v environment. I had to move 25 mailboxes. 23 moved with no problems. the last 3 mailboxes (the largests) with 12, 14, and 18 giga are painfully slow, even 1 by 1. it took me 12 hours to do 50% of only 1 mailbox. and its getting even slower. i dont really understand whts happening. Do someone have an idea. did i something wrong?

thx all

Re: Local moving request 1 mailbox painfully slow

Could you tell us more about the move?
    Same server or cross server?
    VHDs on the same physical spindles?
    Local to cloud?

I suspect it is disc IO bottleneck and you should just let it take its course -- of course the CAS server will make sure the user gets their email at all times so what is the fuss
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian and thank you for your fast reply.

I am moving from an sbs 2003 server in the same domain across the network. The sbs is a physical server. The Hyper-V is local. The problem is that i can only move mailbox when they not working. its only 1 day per week. it took me 22 hours to move only 72% of 12 gigabyte mailbox. how can i see if the I/O is the bottleneck?

I got 2 more mailboxes to move. 1 of them is a 18 giga.

Thx again for you reply

Comment

Ah -- you didn't mention it was a move from 2003 to 2010 -- I assumed (ass-u-me-d) that it was between 2010 servers. In that case the mailbox will not be accessible at all times.

Since disk IO will be less of an issue, perhaps you could check networking and see what speed both servers are connecting at (ancient 10mbps hub, possibly )

If you can set up a temporary fast (or even dedicated) link, things may move faster.

Alternatively, think about exporting from the client to outlook PST files, connecting to the new Exchange and re-importing to the new mailbox, that might be faster (of course the user can also tidy up their mailbox -- how much of 18Gb is really needed? )
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian Thank you!!! you just put your finger on it

I realized that there was a wrong configuration on the NIC. The virtual machine queues was enabled. I had weird and relatively long ping inside my LAN. I changed the configuration to disable ans VOILA!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much 4 your respond. I appreciate your effort for helping.
          Attached Files

Comment

Glad to help!
            And well done!!!!
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X