No announcement yet.

ES2K3 to ES2K7 Migration Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ES2K3 to ES2K7 Migration Problem

I am in the process of decommissioning my ES2003 server and transitioning to ES2007 on a new server. I am following the instructions from Microsoft knowledge base for removing the last legacy server. When I removed the routing group connector between the old and new server, we stopped receiving all incoming email from the the outside. As soon as I added the RGC back, all mail flowed in. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this situation. I do have both send and receive connectors set up on the ES2007 server. All mailboxes have been migrated to the new server. the firewall is directing all smtp traffic to the new email server.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Re: ES2K3 to ES2K7 Migration Problem

could you post a link to the kb you are referring to?

have you read this paper?

Message Routing in a Coexistence Environment

and also of interest to you would be this paper:

How to Install Exchange 2007 in an Existing Exchange Server 2003 Organization

can you read that and verify that you have proceeded in a similar fashion?

does any of that help? i hope so...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

I am following the MS KB titled "How to Remove the Last Legacy Exchange Server from an Organization." Sorry, I can't post the link here for some reason.

Nothing in that KB indicates that removing the internet facing connector from the legacy ES2003 server will disable incoming mail from the outside, but that is what happens when I shut down the old server. Firewall and Spam firewall are set to route smtp records to the new 2007 email server. New email server has a receive connector and a send connector.

Do the MX records point to the firewall / server?

Our private DNS MX record is pointing to the old ES server, but that turned out not to be the problem.

We discovered that there are two places in our spam firewall where the IP address of the new ES server needed to be specified. We had only changed it on the basic configuration and not the advanced configuration. All seems to be working properly now and we will test tomorrow morning by shutting down the old ES server.

Thanks for everyone's responses.