2003/2010 PF Migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003/2010 PF Migration

I'm finally getting around to finishing up an Exchange 2003 to 2010 upgrade that I did a few months back, but am not 100% clear on the process of removing the public folder replicas from the old server. ALL mailboxes have already been moved to the new Exchange 2010 server for some time now.

A while back, I added the 2010 server as a replication partner for all my public folders, along with the FREE BUSY folders and also the Offline Address Books. All public folders appear to have transferred, item count matches, looks like everything is good.

Now, I'm confused about the next step because of conflicting things that I have read.

At this point do I simply run the MoveAllReplicas.ps1 script from 2010 to finish this up? I have also read about needing to move the PDF folder hierarchy through 2003 ESM first, but that step is left out 50% of the time in most of what I have read.

Any anyone clarify this for me, I'm not understanding the PF folder hierarchy part of whether I need to do anything with that.

Re: 2003/2010 PF Migration

here are a couple articles that would help you. take a read...

i cannot comment on what you have done already because im not sure what walk-thrus you have read that are conflicting.

How to Move Public Folder from Exchange 2003 to Exchagne 2010

Exchange 2010 FAQ: How Do I Migrate Public Folders to Exchange Server 2010?

basically, the steps are as follows:

Open Exchange Management Shell change change the path to drive:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts

Then type .\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010"

The above command will add replica of all public folders to exchange 2010 public folder database.

Once the replica is added you can move the replica from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

To do this execute the below EMS command:

.\MoveAllReplicas.ps1 -Server "Exchange2003" -NewServer "Exchange 2010"

if all that doesnt help, let us know.
    Last edited by James Haynes; 6th May 2013, 21:33.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: 2003/2010 PF Migration

This actually helps very much, thank you. I actually manually added the replicas a few months ago instead of using the AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 (Since I only have like 5 public folders).

In one of your links, the second part of step 1 is this:

Replicate the Exchange 2003 Public Folder hierarchy and content to Exchange 2010 server using ESM (Exchange 2003 System Manager), and then (if you have multiple Exchange 2010 PF servers), replicate the Public Folder hierarchy and content from the Exchange 2010:

From the Exchange 2010 server: Update-PublicFolderHierarchy -Server "Exchange 2010 Server"

I'm guessing that this just forces a replication? Since my PF's have replicated naturally over the course of the last few months and my item counts already match, I assume I can skip this step?

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      here are a couple articles that would help you. take a read...

i cannot comment on what you have done already because im not sure what walk-thrus you have read that are conflicting.

How to Move Public Folder from Exchange 2003 to Exchagne 2010

Exchange 2010 FAQ: How Do I Migrate Public Folders to Exchange Server 2010?

basically, the steps are as follows:

Open Exchange Management Shell change change the path to drive:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts

Then type .\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010"

The above command will add replica of all public folders to exchange 2010 public folder database.

Once the replica is added you can move the replica from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

To do this execute the below EMS command:

.\MoveAllReplicas.ps1 -Server "Exchange2003" -NewServer "Exchange 2010"

if all that doesnt help, let us know.
      Last edited by jschweg; 6th May 2013, 21:53.

Comment

Working...
      X