Adding a second Exchange server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a second Exchange server

To start off, I've done many Exchange server's for clients. I've never had an instance where I felt like I needed to add a second server til now.

Basically I have domain.com running fine, but getting a tad overloaded and struggles on resources from time to time. It's already maxed out hardware wise. It's running Win2k8 R2 w/ Exchange 2010 (fully updated).

From what I've read, it appears that I can pretty much just join the new server (also 2k8 R2) to the domain as a member server. Then install the pre-req's and then Exchange 2010. Then update it to the same version. Correct?

Do I need to do anything special to get them to play nice? I can then just start adding new users to the new server...and possibly move a few users to the new server once functional? Is there any special load balancing stuff that I should know about? I think the new server is more powerful and would love to the two server's to team their resources.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Adding a second Exchange server

It's a bit more involved than just adding a new server.

For a start - if you haven't already setup a Client Access Server cluster (which you can do with even one node) you'll end up needing to rehome all your clients (if I recall/interpret things Sembee has said correctly)

Secondly - how are you planning on balancing the load? setting up a new mailstore on the second server and putting some mailboxes on there?

Or were you expecting the second server could pick up the load in another manner ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      It's a bit more involved than just adding a new server.

For a start - if you haven't already setup a Client Access Server cluster (which you can do with even one node) you'll end up needing to rehome all your clients (if I recall/interpret things Sembee has said correctly)

Secondly - how are you planning on balancing the load? setting up a new mailstore on the second server and putting some mailboxes on there?

Or were you expecting the second server could pick up the load in another manner ?
      I believe the first server does have the CAS installed. I'll have to double check later. As far as balancing the load, my main goal is moving some accounts to the new box. I now realize I'd have to do DAG to achieve true load balancing

Comment

A DAG doesn't load balance mailboxes. A DAG creates an active/mounted and a passive/unmounted copy of the mailbox database(s). A DAG does not load balance mailboxes across the DAG database copies.

Comment

you definitely already have CAS installed.. afaia you must have.
          However -whether its' a CAS cluster of one, or just a CAS Server is a different matter.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

By the sounds of it, you need to determine business requirements with regards to what you need to configure. I would recommend the following;
            • What is the causing the resoure issue; Client connections and/or Mailboxes? Do you have local Exchange AV scaning that could be causing the issue? What leads you to believe that there is a resource issue?
            • If you have a business requirement to load balance Client connections, you can start looking at Network Load Balancing. As mentioned, if you haven't already installed an RPC CAS array, you would need to do so. However, if you haven't already, things will be more time consuming and more of a risk of loosing Client access to Exchange during the changes, so therefore, ensure the business requirements needs this to happen. Keep in mind that if you use a software NLB, such as Windows NLB, that the CAS and Mailbox servers within a DAG can't be on the same server, so you are then looking at a minimum of 4 servers.
            • Having the DAG will allow you to have active databases mounted across the two servers, so helping to distribute the load for Malbox databases. I would recommend that you use the Jetstress Tool for Exchange 2010 and Exchange Load Generator (LoadGen)
            • You need to calculate what the CPU and memory requirements for the Exchange servers are to determine whether the bottleneck is their currently allocated resources such as CPU and Memory.

Comment

Working...
            X