No announcement yet.

Autodiscover - Resource Forest

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autodiscover - Resource Forest

Hoping someone can help. I have read many many many articles about Autodiscover and still haven't found the answer to my query.
    We have Exchange 2003 in a user forest which all users connect to. We have now built Exchange 2010 in a resource forest and have moved a couple of users to it and manually updated the client side MAPI profile for these users.
    I would like to create an SRV record for in the user account forest so that the MAPI profiles are updated automatically after the move. We have 80% Outlook 2007 and above and approx 3000 users.

My question is - what will happen to the Outlook profiles of the users that are still using Exchange 2003 (haven't yet been migrated) once the SRV record is put in place? I am happy that my certificates are good and will be supressing the pop-up in Outlook for the redirect KB2480582 So would there be any other issues as a result of adding this record? I know that the Outlook checks Autodiscover every 1 hour, so after the first hour, or when a user closes and re-opens Outlook, will it attempt to find the users mailbox on the 2010 environment and fail, rendering the MAPI profile useless until it is corrected?
    I have all of this set up in test and it doesn't appear to have a negative impact on exsiting 2003 users. One strange thing I have noticed is that if I create a new MAPI profile for a 2003 user, it uses the Autodiscover record and redirects the user to the correct 2003 server but there is no link between the 2 Exchange Org's, so not sure how this is working

Thanks !

Re: Autodiscover - Resource Forest

Autodiscover will run (it is running now). However if the mailbox doesn't exist it will almost certainly fail. It shouldn't cause any problems with the existing profile though.

Are you sure that Autodiscover is directing the client to Exchange 2003 and it isn't something else? It could be a tool to do the Outlook configuration for example that is doing it.

Resource Forests are becoming pretty rare these days, I don't think I have deployed one for at least 18 months. Resource domains (in the same Forest) are still used quite a bit, but having Exchange completely seperate not so much.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.