No announcement yet.

Exchange 2013 Split DNS access issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2013 Split DNS access issue

Hi All,
    I'm new to exchange and I wanted to set an on premise Exchange box at home for my family emails. My setup is as follows-

1) I have just setup a Server 2012 Essentials DC box.

2) I have a HP Proliant Microserver box that I have installed Server 2012 Standard as the OS with Exchange 2013 on it.

3) My ISP has me on a dynamic IP address so I am using for forwarding.

4) I have a website setup on my main Essentials DC box which is accessible from the internet just fine using my domain
    www mydomain-uk .com

My issues are I can access the OWA using the URL below from within my network ok. However to test access from outside of my network I use my iPhone by switching the WiFi off and I then get an error 404 - File or directory not found. (I also tried access from my work PC with same issue)

mail.mydomain-uk .com/owa

I have been playing with this for days trying to get it to work and I am now stuck.

I followed the TechNet guide to setup Exchange 2013 and setup split DNS with a new zone to forward and to the internal fixed IP address of my Exchange box.
    The reason I believe I need split DNS is because I need to access the following from outside my network and only have one internet connection/Dynamic IP-

1) //remote.mydomain-uk .com pointing to my Essential DC box with an internal fixed IP for remote access (This works fine!)

2) mail.mydomain-uk .com/owa pointing to my Exchange box with an internal fixed IP (works from within my network but if I try to connect away from home I get the 404 error.

I have opened the following ports on the router and tested they are open from the web -

25 SMTP forward to Exchange Box

80 HTTP forward to the Essentials DC box

443 HTTPS forwarded to the Essentials DC box

Last thing I can add. When testing I have found if I forward 443 directly to the Exchange Box I can access the OWA consol with now problems.

Have I missed something with the split DNS setup or am I way off?
    Please be easy with me as I’m new to all this and going through a step learning curve.

Apologises for the long post as I want to ensure you have all the facts.

Many thanks

Re: Exchange 2013 Split DNS access issue

There are loads more that you need to do.

This is the guide from Microsoft for integrating your SBS Essentials box and Exchange:

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.