Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transaction log restoration during migration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transaction log restoration during migration?

Ok, a weird question.
    I'm looking at something for a subcontracted client. It looks like my client has taken over support for the end-user at some point. However, the back up continued to be managed by the previous provider so my client (to my knowledge) hasn't been doing any maintenance or management of this. It looks like this has ceased being provided somewhere along the lines - I've got no access to any of it and nothing tells me it's been backed up in >30 days

They are in the middle of an exchange migration - circular logging has been enabled on the new server, and all the mailboxes were migrated.
    On the old server, the datastore is still in place, and I've got txn logs as far back as February.

The CEO of the end-client beleives he has lost a "mobile-2" number from a contact and wants it recovered.

So, could I make a COPY of the datastore on the original server, set it up as an RSG, then roll forward transaction logs to a point in time before the CEO's mailbox is migrated, then grab the number from the contact?

I'm suspercting this course of action would not meet my desired outcome, and would make a bigger mess.

any other thoughts on ways I could do this?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: transaction log restoration during migration?

First thing I would do would be to recover, copy, the DB as a RSG on the first server then mount it and have a look at the CEO's mailbox, restore to a PST if need be.

Does the contact exist on there and does this contact have a mobile 2 attached to it.

If it does then get the number and send it to him.

You shouldn't need to use the transaction logs, depending on when the contact was created.

Comment

Re: transaction log restoration during migration?

yep.. a recovery from backup would have been my first port of call as well.
      regrettably, the only one I can find at present is from April 2012.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X