No announcement yet.

Mobile phones and Exchange 2k7 sp3

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phones and Exchange 2k7 sp3

Hi all,
    this seemed to be the most appropriate forum to post this in, but no doubt it will be moved if it.

Ok, so i'm thinking of phasing out our BESX install with 35 users (Bold 9780) for many reasons including sync'ing issues, handset failures etc.

Regardless, i'm looking into the windows 8 phones. After all one would expect this kind of phone to work seemlessly with MS Exchange.
    However, we are on 2007 SP3, so i'm looking for advice and/or experience of anyone with a similar setup.

My main drawback is (i think), that with blackberry devices you can lock them right down within BESX admin and disallow users from installing apps etc.
    Will activesync policies on E2k7 allow the same amount of central admin control over windows 8 mobile devices?

The other option is android smart phones. We already have a few iphones on the system, but they are hellish expensive.
    I'm trying to keep the devices down to around 200 each (sim-free) and the Nokia Lumia 620 sits in that bracket nicely.

These devices really will be for phones calls, and email/contact/calendar sync'ing with exchange. They must be simple to use and again the Lumia 620 seems to fit that bill.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Re: Mobile phones and Exchange 2k7 sp3

If you want control over the devices similar to BES then you will have to deploy either a third party tool or SCCM.
    The major problem is that the Windows Phone 8 MDM is very basic unless you have the latest OS for the device. That has limited what third party vendors can do.
    For pure lockdown, you cannot beat BES - do ensure that you have the latest updates for both the device and the BES itself (5.0.4 is the latest).

On Android, to get the best lock down experience you need to deploy Touchdown for email, which will be further expense. However you will find more MDM solutions, including some free options:

Centrify Express

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Mobile phones and Exchange 2k7 sp3

Thanks Sembee,
      very interesting read on those 2 links.

I've bought a couple of windows phones to test and see how things work out, before i formulate a plan of attack.