setup of exchange 2007 with a franchise domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setup of exchange 2007 with a franchise domain

Hello All. A client of ours is a local office of a nationwide franchise. One of their requirements is to have the same email address as the rest of the franchise. We will call it abcxyz.com. They used to have their email hosted on a server using POP3/SMTP. All the mail flowed fine. My client has had Exchange 2007 (SBS) for a while but not using it. They have decided to change over to Exchange for their email. I have their incoming mail being delivered to their server using a POP connector. Their server has been setup using the abcxyz.com as the accepted domain. The only thing I cannot get over is when an internal user sends to someone with the abcxyz.com domain outside of their local domain, they receive an undeliverable. The host company suggested a smarthost to route all email for abcxyz.com to the host server. I have been unable to get this to function. I think this is a band-aid for lack of a better word. However I thought I would ask this question to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks for any help.

Re: setup of exchange 2007 with a franchise domain

You need to read up on Accepted Domains and particularly external relays
    This is a starting point: http://exchangeserverpro.com/how-to-...o-mail-systems

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-t...ain-types.html
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: setup of exchange 2007 with a franchise domain

Originally posted by pcguru64 View Post
      Hello All. A client of ours is a local office of a nationwide franchise. One of their requirements is to have the same email address as the rest of the franchise. We will call it abcxyz.com. They used to have their email hosted on a server using POP3/SMTP. All the mail flowed fine. My client has had Exchange 2007 (SBS) for a while but not using it. They have decided to change over to Exchange for their email. I have their incoming mail being delivered to their server using a POP connector. Their server has been setup using the abcxyz.com as the accepted domain. The only thing I cannot get over is when an internal user sends to someone with the abcxyz.com domain outside of their local domain, they receive an undeliverable. The host company suggested a smarthost to route all email for abcxyz.com to the host server. I have been unable to get this to function. I think this is a band-aid for lack of a better word. However I thought I would ask this question to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks for any help.
      it's not really a bandaid solution and is fairly common. Basically, your server needs to know that it's not the only authoritative server for abcxyz.com domain.
      your "accepted Domain' should be "internal relay" rather than authoritative.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X