No announcement yet.

Dead server showing up in exchange

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead server showing up in exchange

I have an exchange server in my domain that I wanted to replace with new hardware, although my new server crashed shortly after installing exchange on it.

Old server is still up and running but I have problems receiving mails on it, I removed dead server from AD and every place I could find it, but it still shows up in server configuration in exchange console (Hub transport role, Client transport role)

I'm guessing that's where my problem lies with not being able to receive emails on old server anymore.

It actually says it cannot open port 25 on old server, tried switching it to 26 but alas no success, firewall is configured and exceptions are in place. It worked fine before installation of that server. I'm using pve/pop3 collector.

Any help would be appreciated, I just don't know what to do anymore.

Re: Dead server showing up in exchange

"I removed dead server from AD and every place I could find it"

That was the wrong thing to do.
    If the server failed you should have recovered it. By removing the entries from AD you have made sure that you cannot do that now.

The only supported method is to use add/remove programs to remove Exchange. By removing the server from AD you cannot do that.

Your only option now is probably to speak to Microsoft support. If you don't want to do that, then you might find unsupported instructions on what to remove in the domain. The other option is to build a new Forest and Domain so that you can leave the configuration behind.

Sorry to be so negative, but you have got yourself in to a place where you are very limited on the options.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.