Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Archiving solution

Hello to all,

I am looking for an email archiving solution. Currently, I am using Exchange 2007 and except PST files, no centralized archiving solution.

Exchange 2010 gives the ability to archive email on a second Exchange server. therefore, it didn't seem -- or I wasn't able to see it -- that this solution will kept deleted user email archive, and nothing really simple to get access to this archive. Am I right ?

On the other side, GFI mailarchiver seems good for this job without upgrading my Exchange 2007 server and most of all, give the ability to access to a deleted user archive email (easily ??).

I will naturally come to GFI but I had to present the Pro and Cons of both solution. Did someone used one of the solution (or both of them) for their archiving solution ?

Thank you for your answers. Have a nice day.

Terry

Re: Email Archiving solution

GFI MailArchiver (IME) is not a very good product. It takes the email out of Exchange and puts it into a SQL database. It'll run on SQL Express, but it won't warn you if you exceed the database size limits so you can be left with a database that you can't migrate without full-blown SQL Server. It has the merit of being cheap.

We use Symantec Enterprise Vault, which most certainly is not cheap but is a very good product. Not really viable though if you aren't enterprise-class though.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I have used PolicyPatrol effectively on smaller installations, but a lot depends on the proposed archive size. Enterprise Vault has a very high reputation
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ah the old archiving question.

The first thing to consider is what you want to achieve, because the phrase archiving is used for two different tasks.

If you just want to get the email out of Exchange, in to something else, then you need a real archiver.
        If you need to retain email for legal and regulatory reasons then you need a journaling product.

On the first type, you could just keep the email in Exchange. Create a second mailbox for the users and then move the content in there. The only thing you don't get that Exchange 2010 has is the automation and the retention policies. That would be more efficient than anything else.

Personally I am not a fan of Enterprise Vault, and have seen clients with a lot of problems with it.
        The main issues with Enterprise vault seem to be
        1. Cost.
        2. Complexity - unless something has changed you either have to get their consultants to install the product, or go on a course, and the cost is the same.
        3. It is made by Symantec
        4. It is supported by Symantec.

Not really sure what the complaint about GFI Mail Archiver is with regards to taking the email out of Exchange and storing it in SQL is supposed to mean.
        Enterprise Vault does the same thing. The limitations of SQL Express are well documented and I believe are in the GFI Mail Archiver product documentation.
        I have the product installed on a number of locations and very happy with it, but in all instances it is running on a full SQL server, no SQL Express. It is my go to product for a client requiring a journaling product, as it will capture the email to satisfy the regulatory authorities.
        Blaming an SQL limitation on a third party product isn't really very fair.

There a lot of products in this market place, you need to look around. GFI is probably around the lower end of the market and Enterprise Vault at the top, so it is like you are comparing a Aston Martin to a Mini Cooper. Both fast cards in their own class, but not really comparable. Work out what you want to do with the product first then look around.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post

Not really sure what the complaint about GFI Mail Archiver is with regards to taking the email out of Exchange and storing it in SQL is supposed to mean.
          Enterprise Vault does the same thing. The limitations of SQL Express are well documented and I believe are in the GFI Mail Archiver product documentation.
          I have the product installed on a number of locations and very happy with it, but in all instances it is running on a full SQL server, no SQL Express. It is my go to product for a client requiring a journaling product, as it will capture the email to satisfy the regulatory authorities.
          Blaming an SQL limitation on a third party product isn't really very fair.
          My complaint is that GFI support have promised me on multiple occasions that the next version of the software will warn that it is time to create a new database as the SQL limit is approaching, but that has never materialised.

Adding full-blown SQL server to a GFI MailArchiver deployment makes the cost unattractive to most clients. I have no issues with it working with full SQL Server where clients already have SQL, or with the fact that it uses SQL as a backend.

Can't argue with you about the Symantec aspect of EV though, whilst their EV support is light years ahead of any of their other products (very much pointing the finger at the Backup Exec support here) it's still not great.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X