Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did not Receive mail in Exchange Server 2010 Downtime

Hi,

I had a 20 minutes downtime of my Exchange Server 2010 and during these 20 mins no one received a mail and I know that there were emails sent to us. Is it normal that if the exchange server is down, the emails sent to our domain are not received or stored anywhere?

I checked with the Tracker Logger Explorer and no emails are logged in those 20 mins (and i am sure that there was suppose to receive).

Is it normal that MS Exchange looses the email when the server is down, or is there some kind of setting which is missing?

Thanks.

Re: Did not Receive mail in Exchange Server 2010 Downtime

If the server is down, no email will come in at all as the server will not respond to the SMTP request. Most sending servers will retry at increasing intervals up to 48 hours, so I would have expected it to arrive later.

However, you may have an upstream SMTP server that has received the mail and has not delivered it to you yet.

I presume other emails (after the 20 mins downtime) have arrived?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X