Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Exchange 2013

Howdy folks.

We started trying to get our internal network onto Server 2012/Exchange 2013 over the weekend. Currently we cannot get past the installer for Exchange 2013.

There is very little information on the errors that we are getting. The only suggestions that show up on Google are either related to 2008 R2 (make sure you have installed/registered ASP 4.5), make sure your 2012 isn't a DC (check, our first attempt was on a DC so we separated it out but still get the same fail) or make sure you have installed the pre-requisites in the correct order. The latter we have done very carefully. Everything is installed following the technet step by step.

The error appears whether we use the GUI install or powershell to run unattended. UAC and firewall are both off just to make sure...

No matter what we do, the install sits at 93% of the Transport Role for ages and then errors out with:

Failure running SearchFoundation installconfig.ps1 - Error occurred while configuring Search Foundation for Exchange.System.TimeoutException: Timed out waiting for Admin node to be up and running
    The setup log file isn't much more use (I have attached the bits immediately before the error). Anyone have any suggestions what to do other than give up and install 2010 again?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by beddo; 22nd January 2013, 11:49. Reason: wrapping on quote

Re: Installing Exchange 2013

Following up on this one as Google has no results and Microsoft product support didn't have a solution.

I have been able to run the installconfig.ps1 script manually by running an install and then an attach. After doing this the Exchange setup went through without a problem.

Everything now appears to be up and running so hopefully Google will index this and it'll help someone else out!

Commands I ran are here:

Code:
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer> .\installconfig.ps1 -action i -dataFolder "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data"
    Configuring Search Foundation for Exchange....
    Script execution failed. Please inspect the log file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\In
    staller\log\PostSetup_install_20130122213854.log" for more details.
    Error occurred while configuring Search Foundation for Exchange.System.TimeoutException: Timed out waiting for Admin
    node to be up and running
       at Microsoft.Ceres.Exchange.PostSetup.DeploymentManager.WaitForAdminNode(String hostControllerNetTcpWcfUrl)
       at Microsoft.Ceres.Exchange.PostSetup.DeploymentManager.Install(String installDirectory, String dataDirectoryPath,
    Int32 basePort, String logFile, Boolean singleNode, String systemName, Boolean attachedMode)
       at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Type , Object , Object , Object , Object , Object , Object , Boolean )
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer\installconfig.ps1:189 char:5
    +     throw $_.Exception
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : RuntimeException

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer> .\installconfig.ps1 -action a -dataFolder "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data"
    Configuring Search Foundation for Exchange....
    Successfully configured Search Foundation for Exchange

Comment

Exchange 2013 isn't production ready yet. There's a slew of bugs and general fuctionality missing in the product that as usual with Exchange release cycles will be remedied in SP1. Iv been running the beta and now RTM since its debut and have likewise come across numerous odditys when installing into a similar greenfield enviroments as yourself.

Comment

Hi beddo,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to post your solution here. I have been having issues with my Ex 2013 server and so decided to update to Cumulative Update 1 (released 4th April 2013). Half way through the upgrade the installation failed with the same error message as yours above.

Unfortunately, when I checked the ps1 script it was completely blank, so I had to restore it from a backup and then ran the commands you gave. It successfully fixed the issues, I managed to complete the installation, and Exchange is now back up and running, and there seem to be a lot less errors in Event Viewer. One I can't seem to get to go away is 106 - MSExchange Common, but that's another story.

So yes, I just wanted to say thank you!

Comment

Glad it helped, we ended up binning 2013 and moving the PSTs back to 2010 as other things didn't work properly or were intermittent (some of us could use the search feature whilst others got no results etc).

It'll be a while before we go back to it I think!

Comment

Thanks! Seems to have done the trick!

Comment

Working...
            X