Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email/Exchange getting started

Hi all

Im looking to install & use exchange server 2010 however I know little about email. I have researched email online but it still seems a little vague.

Does exchange hold the smtp and pop3 server? I often here you retrieve your email from your pop3 server but does that mean a separate server or an exchange server feature or role?

Can the Imap server/feature/role run simultaneously and apply for different users?

Is it straight forward for an it support non admin user to install and configure exchange server or is email protocoly stuff/training necessary beforehand?

Thanks

Confuseis

Re: Email/Exchange getting started

OK, first of all installing / configuring Exchange is a non-trivial task and without good network admin skills you will have major problems. Your best bet is to install Small Business Server (SBS) 2011 which includes Exchange and is easy to set up (Use The Friendly Wizard)

Exchange includes POP3 and IMAP support but they are (IMHO) legacy and Exchange natively offers far better tools to access email from a range of devices.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by confuseis View Post
      Hi all

Im looking to install & use exchange server 2010 however I know little about email. I have researched email online but it still seems a little vague.

Does exchange hold the smtp and pop3 server? I often here you retrieve your email from your pop3 server but does that mean a separate server or an exchange server feature or role?

Can the Imap server/feature/role run simultaneously and apply for different users?

Is it straight forward for an it support non admin user to install and configure exchange server or is email protocoly stuff/training necessary beforehand?

Thanks

Confuseis
      If you don't know Exchange then this forum won't be of much help other than answering direct and specific questions. Either take the time out to learn via a tutor driven/instructor led course or alternative computer based training amongst the plethora of resources available online.
      Addressing your original question Exchange can use POP3 but thats a somewhat deprecated connection method and not Exchanges primary connection mechanism for clients. That being said clients can connect using Outlook Web Access. Exchange Active sync. Outlook Anywhere. MAPI. IMAP and POP3.
      Email delivery from Exchange uses the standard SMTP protocol. All roles can be homed on one server which is the encouraged Microsoft best practice. There is no need to separate the roles unless you have a specific requirement to do so. IE load or resource.
      Broadly speaking you can turn on/off the various connection methods 'per user'. There are some caveats depending on the protocol but i'm not going to get in that here.
      In your case because you are new to Exchange/Email i would encourage you do some training. Whether that be in a class on on your own doesn't matter.

Comment

I see. I dont have the luxary of time or training and am expected in my company to make it happen as the IT guy.

This is a small business with no budget so I have to be resourceful. We are not using small business server and will be using enterprise edition for our DC's.

Ill get some time over xmas so Im thinking of using bullet pointed step by steps and an evaluation edition of exchange 2010 on virtual box so I can practice without bringing the companies email down.

Is that my best move?

Thanks

Comment

I see. I dont have the luxary of time or training and am expected in my company to make it happen as the IT guy.

This is a small business with no budget so I have to be resourceful. We are not using small business server and will be using enterprise edition for our DC's.

Ill get some time over xmas so Im thinking of using bullet pointed step by steps and an evaluation edition of exchange 2010 on virtual box so I can practice without bringing the companies email down.

Is that my best move?

Thanks
          Absolutely. The best way to learn in IT is by getting the hands on. A virtual lab is a great place to start. All the binaries are available on Technet (Evals as you've noted). There's also the Microsoft Technet virtual labs which are also another great place to start and save you the effort of having to build your own lab. Although id still encourage the lata.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/e.../bb499043.aspx

Comment

Is that my best move?

Thanks
            you don't have the budget for SBS, but you can afford Enterprise Edition for MULTIPLE servers ?
            how are you going to afford exchange? Licencing-wise, you need:

1x Server Licence (std/ent) for each server you run Exchange on.
            1x Exchange licence (std/ent) for each exchange server you run
            ??x Server CALs for each client/user that needs to access the server
            ??x Exchange CALs for each client/user that needs to access the server.

Plus the hardware costs. There are some very important things to be aware of when running exchange - for instance, if you plan to run it on a Domain Controller, it's not quite the same.

How big is your company and what is your current email solution and what is causing the drive toward exchange?

Exchange does feature IMAP, POP3 and SMTP Services within the total software package. However, as already pointed out, POP3 is mostly a deprecated protocol and there is almost no good reason to use it, ever.
            If you are using exchange, there's not a lot of good reason to use imap.

Exchange uses MAPI for end-users to access mailboxes. It can access them via Outlook, or via Outlook Web Interface.
            Exchange consists of a number of roles within the package, the following are essential:
            Hub/Transport (HT) ; Client Access Server (CAS) ; Mailbox (Mbx)
            These 3 roles can all exist on one server, but it depends on the needs of your environment. If you have 500 mailboxes, I wouldn't dream of it. If you had 100, I'd probably consider breaking it apart.

Basic process to migrate:
            1. Setup exchange.
            1a. Many substeps here relating to configuration
            2. Open port 25 on your firewall and point it to the internal exchange server on port 25
            3. ensure you have a static IP address on your public interface
            4. change your MX record to point to your public IP address
            5. Configure your outlook clients to use the Exchange server
            6. Import any existing email - multiple ways of doing this.

How big is your organisation? how many mailboxes do you need?
            Do you have hardware already available for this?
            tell me about the hardware - is it multipurposed? what sort of RAID controllers, how much memory, how is the disk configured?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi

Sorry late reply got v busy over xmas. I gather that the standard method of accessing email internally is via the client to exchange using mapi and that the others are more for accessing your mail when outside of the LAN e.g. from home we would use imap or pop.

Our company has about 100 users and growing and is a registered charity so the licenses are gotten at charity rates. We already have the equipment that has been donated so we want to take advantage of this.
              We already have server 2003 in operation here with exchange 2003 in operation on it.

I have dabbled with SBS but it seems insistent on being installed 1st and does not play nice when we try to join it to the existing domain as a member. There is a huge messy process involved in forcing it to do so however I ruled this out as afterwards I expect bizzare error messages and given the unorthodox joining of sbs to a domain I would not forsee many people knowledgeable in undoing such a mess.

We could start from the beginning again with SBS but I’d imagine this would be disruptive to the business and I don’t want to further down the road try to do something and then find out sbs restricts me from doing so.
              We are trained in server 2003/2008 so we would prefer to use systems that we are familiar with and also this is better for our careers with enterprise level skills.

We have the hardware available and we want to utilize it.
              I have installed exchange server 2010 at home and now am looking forward to doing my 1st task which is setting up a mailbox for a user and sending a test email. I will hunt down info on the net and see how I get on.
              Thanks

Confuseis

Comment

SBS 2011 is the last version of SBS (MS is moving towards Windows Server Essentials) that include Exchange. As you've already noted, SBS isn't meant for joinng a domain; it's meant for creating one. It cannot, to my knowledge, co-exist with other SBS systems. Adding it to a domain is problematic, but not impossible. In any event, you've already stated that you will explore Exchange 2010. There are many blogs that cover installation and troubleshooting. This one (http://www.petri.com) is one of the better ones. If the network in question isn't WS08R2-functional-level, already, it should be considered. Non-profits can acquire software from various sources at a discounted rate, so I'd suggest three keys of WS08R2 for 2 DCs and the Exchange system (not recommended to place Exchange on a DC, but lots of places do it), and backup, backup, backup.
                Best regards,
                Jim Graue, MCP (WXP, WS03)

Comment

Working...
                X